NullPointerException when compiling widgetset

Hi,

I’m getting a NPE when I try to compile a widgetset. I’m using Eclipse plugin with Ivy. It finds the jars with widgets OK but then fails The stack trace is below (I removed some bits of it). I guess I can ignore the warning from preferences API - I know what causes it but I have no admin rights on the machine to mess with the registry. Or should I not ignore it?

Thanks

Widgetsets found from classpath:

... list here ...

Addon styles found from classpath:

Search took 35ms

Done.

Starting GWT compiler

Oct 14, 2014 4:23:39 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>

WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

[ERROR]
 Unexpected internal compiler error

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.nestedLoad(ModuleDefLoader.java:324)

at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.load(ModuleDefLoader.java:288)

at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.doLoadModule(ModuleDefLoader.java:231)

at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.loadFromResources(ModuleDefLoader.java:160)

at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.loadFromClassPath(ModuleDefLoader.java:135)

at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler.run(Compiler.java:130)

at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler$1.run(Compiler.java:100)

at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.doRun(CompileTaskRunner.java:55)

at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.runWithAppropriateLogger(CompileTaskRunner.java:50)

at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler.main(Compiler.java:107)

at com.vaadin.tools.WidgetsetCompiler$1.run(WidgetsetCompiler.java:80)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

Widgetset compilation failed

Just to be clear:

Oct 14, 2014 4:23:39 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

is a warning emitted by the JDK’s internal logger. It is triggered by the fact that the GWT compiler makes use of Java Preferences. In the context of the GWT compiler this warning can be safely ignored. It is a
JDK bug
and will be fixed in Java 9.

What comes after this warning is not an knock-on effect of said warning. They are unrelated. The Preferences warning is just a red herring.

In other words the real problem is:

[ERROR]
 Unexpected internal compiler error
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.nestedLoad(ModuleDefLoader.java:324)
(stacktrace here)