Vaadin-Plugin for Eclipse: Strange errors

Hello,

Maybe I just missed something but for me it seems like there is a problem with Vaadin for Eclipse.
I’m using Eclipse Kepler with Glassfish 4.0.

I started creating a Java Enterprise Application Project using the Wizard with connected EJB- and Web-Module.
Without Vaadin-Plugin everything works well.

After installing the Vaadin-Plugin(without using Vaadin!) I get some strange errors in the Eclipse ErrorLog.
This error always occur If I try to publish any Enterprise Application Project, while “Vaadin for Eclipse” is installed.
Again: Even if I’m not using Vaadin or any Vaadin-Project in my Project this error occurs. Only the Plugin have to be installed to produce this error.

I can’t find out what exactly causes this Issue but in the stacktrace it seems like Vaadin:

Java Model Exception: Java Model Status [EAR does not exist]

at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaElement.newJavaModelException(JavaElement.java:508)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.Openable.generateInfos(Openable.java:246)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaElement.openWhenClosed(JavaElement.java:521)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaElement.getElementInfo(JavaElement.java:258)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaElement.getElementInfo(JavaElement.java:244)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaProject.getJavaProjectElementInfo(JavaProject.java:1641)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaProject.newNameLookup(JavaProject.java:2328)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaProject.newNameLookup(JavaProject.java:2338)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaProject.findType(JavaProject.java:1356)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaProject.findType(JavaProject.java:1263)
at com.vaadin.integration.eclipse.util.ProjectUtil.findVaadinApplicationType(ProjectUtil.java:196)
at com.vaadin.integration.eclipse.util.ProjectUtil.findProjectVaadinJarPath(ProjectUtil.java:413)
at com.vaadin.integration.eclipse.util.ProjectUtil.getVaadinLibraryInProject(ProjectUtil.java:400)
at com.vaadin.integration.eclipse.util.ProjectUtil.getVaadinLibraryVersion(ProjectUtil.java:351)
at com.vaadin.integration.eclipse.util.ProjectUtil.getVaadinVersion(ProjectUtil.java:541)
at com.vaadin.integration.eclipse.util.WidgetsetUtil.isWidgetsetDirty(WidgetsetUtil.java:669)
at com.vaadin.integration.eclipse.server.WidgetsetPublishDelegate.getTasks(WidgetsetPublishDelegate.java:61)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.PublishTask.getTasks(PublishTask.java:100)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.getTasks(Server.java:1397)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.getTasks(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:1208)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:911)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:774)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.publishImpl(Server.java:3153)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server$PublishJob.run(Server.java:345)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)

I really at a loss with this issue
so any help or further information about this Exception is appreciated.

Thank you!

I’ll forward this to the relevant techs, but in the meantime, consider doing a clean install of Eclipse. This looks like a complex and unforeseen naming clash between two plugins.

A fresh install of Eclipse could make the problem go away, or at least might give you an idea of what components should not be installed together with the Vaadin plugin. This information would help us a lot, also, if you’re able to provide it.

Hello Patrik,
first of all thanks for your reply!

Installing a new Eclipse was my first idea too, so I already used a new workspace and a presumably clean Eclipse with just Glassfish-tools before posting this Topic. “Presumably clean” because its a version we use in my company. I’ll try another version later and check which other components are installed if necessary.

I’ve done some further testing with another clean Eclipse install, but the problem remains. I want to add that this is reproducible on other workstations.

I’m not sure which other components exactly you need to know, so I’ll post just everything I use in this case.
Maybe someone has another sugestion which component could cause this error. For example, is it possible that some build-in component of the used Eclipse-package could cause this error?
I’ve used
Eclipse Keplar from: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-java-ee-developers/keplersr2
with GlassFish Tools(Eclipse-plugin) 6.6.0.201406180118
and Vaadin Plug-in for Eclipse 2.3.0.201409011338

I also tried to use Glassfish 4.0 and the newly released Glassfish 4.1

Don’t know if this is helpful, but I set up a new Vaadin-Project+Ear. After setting up the Projects I uninstalled Vaadin Plug-in in my Eclipse. Now I am able to publish without any error. Just lacking the Features of the Vaadin Eclipse-Plugin. After re-install the problem occurs again.

Thanks for the reply. Those responsible for the plugin have been notified. Seems to me that the only thing you can do for now, unfortunately, is to have two eclipse installs - one with the Vaadin plugin and another with the GlassFish plugin…

Sorry :confused:

Thanks for this report!

After a quick look, I think I can see what is happening, but one thing:

The error is just an exception in the log, right? I mean, I assume nothing stops working due to this?

In the call stack (from the exception), under some specific conditions, the plugin apparently outputs a stacktrace even though the situation just basically means “this is not Vaadin project”.

This should be easy enough to fix… And notice that even now, before fixing, it should be completely safe and w/o other side-effects except from the annoying error message (please correct me if you have found otherwise).

Best Regards,
Marc

Thats true. It is just spamming the Errorlog on every publish.
I didn’t found any other side-effects till now, but it is good to know that this should be safe.

Thank you for the explanation!

Hello,

I encountered the same errorlog. I am using wildfly 8.2-Final. any update about this annoying error log? how can I fix it.

appreciate it.

Hello,

I have the same problem. I would like to add that it happens to me during the autocompletion: I press CTRL + SPACE → the workspace hangs for a while → I get the error message.