Problems with Theme compilation since 7.3.0

I have updated vaadin and the eclipse version from 7.2.4 to 7.3.0.

Now I wanted to compile my working theme with the “compile theme” - button,
The amount of time has doubled, but the

style.css includes all variable names instead of their values

Am I doing something wrong?
Has something changed?

Jack Dolphin

first of all did you replaced, all jar files with 7.3.0 jar files?

i was facing the same problem, i just recreated a new project with eclipse its working fine then.

sencond thing if you miss to include any mixing or other scss file in style.css or yourtheme name.scss, it will not compile at all.

so check it out

In case Mudassar’s suggestions don’t help, please check the output of the theme compiler for error messages.

We had the same problems after updating from 7.2.2 to 7.3.0
There were no errors and the compiler created successfully a style.css but without replacing our global variables.

After a lot of trial and error we recognized, that our global variable definition was not working anymore.

We had a separate .scss file and defined our variables within a @mixin block. Then we included this mixin in the main.scss file.
This worked well up to 7.2.2 with sass-compiler version 0.9.5.
From version 0.9.6 this method is broken.

We had to delete the @mixin block around the variable definitions and the @include command in the main file.
Now it is working fine just with the normal @import command in the beginning of our main.scss file.

I hope I could help some of you.

btw … thanks for vaadin! it is great!

That sounds like it has been a bug in the previous version of the compiler with variables scoping. Variables declared inside mixins should not leak outside the mixin. So for global variables, those need to be declared in the root context, outside any mixin or function.

Yes, indeed!

I went a rocky road to learn this :slight_smile:

I just want to point to a bug while compiling my theme with Vaadin version 7.5.1.
Both compiling ways (on the fly when productionMode=false and manually when productionMode=true) generate bad css, causing broken style → My tables show only the first row. The buttons are moved. The generated style is not usable at all.

Setting back Vaadin version to 7.5.0 eliminates the problem.