Urgent, Vaadin failing after Windows update

Eclipse Kepler
Vaadin 7.2.6, using Ivy and the Vaadin Eclipse plugin
Tomcat 7.0.47
Oracle JVM 1.7.0_55
Windows Server 2008 R2 updated 8/22/2014
Chrome 36.0.1985.143 m

I’ve been developing an application for about 8 months. This morning I came in and Tomcat wouldn’t start, giving me all sorts of errors. I created a new Tomcat instance and it still wouldn’t start, so I rebooted the machine. Once rebooted, my server instance started and my project deployed, but I got random errors related to push not working, vaadinPush.debug.js could not be loaded, a few others. I cleaned my Ivy cache and refreshed it, rebuilt my widgestset and theme. Everything appeared to run fine, but when I click OK on a dialog window in my application, it just sits there, no logging on either the client side or the server side. I refreshed my code from subversion and tred again with the same results.

I created a new Vaadin 7 application using the plugin, just kept the standard com.example stuff. Start up Tomcat and navigate to the new application and it sits for about 10 minutes and finally shows the Click Me button. Hit refresh, it takes ten full minutes or more to refresh. I’m at wits end. The only thing that has changed between Friday afternoon and this morning is a Windows update which I’m going to look up next. I was hoping someone could give me a pointer.

Thanks,
John

I’d suggest doing a fresh install of Java and Tomcat (since, obviously, that’s part of the problem). This might also be a good time to upgrade to Eclipse Luna (you know you want to). :slight_smile:

If that doesn’t work, it’s probably just easier to consider your system hosed, and doing a full reinstall (if that’s possible in your case).

Bottom line: something’s changed, and old settings no longer apply or are actively hindering the system from working. Sometimes, these issues can be very subtle and hard to track down, in which case the 6 hours or so it takes to reinstall a developer’s workstation is itime better spent than the days trying to figure out what’s wrong.

Also make sure you have cleaned the working directory of Tomcat (you can also do it from Eclipse for the instance that you run from Eclipse). Reinstalling Tomcat might be easy enough to try in one or two minutes - just unzip a new Tomcat package somewhere and define it as a server in Eclipse. If it helps, you at least know the problem is there.

If it is consistently 10 minutes, I would probably look into what is actually happening during that time with some system monitoring tools - active processes, CPU load, perhaps what files are being accessed, …