Future of the Visual Designer

I have a question to the vaadin team about the visual designer. I am using this tool a lot to create component layouts quickly. it saves me indeed a lot of time. i wonder if this tool will be updated in future to stay compatible with current and future vaadin versions. At the moment this tool seems to be outdated for vaadin 7.2, since it generates deprecated components (Progressbar) and sets all components immediate state to false.

Hi,

A very timely question - we know it has not received much attention lately, and I’m happy to tell you that we have just started planning the next version.

However, I do not yet have any details to share - instead, I would be very interested in hearing about how you use it today, what you’re missing, what you love/hate, and any ideas and whishes you might have.

This goes for anyone - please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas regarding the Visual Designer here, or contact me directly!

Best Regards,
Marc

Thank you for the fast answear. Thats great news.

Since i use the Visual Designer almost every day, i have few ideas and wishes

• Support for
    FormLayout
  • add multiple Style Names (like .addStyleName() function)
  • FontAwsome Support for Icons
  • select and move multiple components (to change the position)
  • More Component specific options (setImmediate, setEnabled)
    [list]
  • Combobox (setTextInputAllowed, Filteringmode)
  • Table (setColumnCollapsingAllowed, setColumnReorderingAllowed, setEditable, setMultiSelect)

[/list]
  • more stability (it crashes quite often, while editing component properties)

it would be great if the visual designer actually generates a xml file that separates code from structure. something like UIBinder?

• Specify events for controls in the designer
  • Databinding

fix setVisible / setEnabled
fix label setContentLabel ( HTML not supported )
preview customComponent
support to CSSLayout

Databinding +1
multiple Style Names +1