SearchField

Again, it’s time for a new component, 6.2-nightly-style.

This time, it’s a component that I use in another project as a search component, which gave its name. But, I can easily imagine that the component could be used for many other purposes.

While the ComboBox is many times enough for search operations, I needed to gain more control over the contents of the result box. The SearchField enables you to write a custom ResultDisplayer which gets parsed keywords from the SearchField and returns a (any) Layout in return, based (or not) on those keywords. This way, the search process and displaying is completely up to you.

Here’s a video of the component in action. The ResultDisplayer in this example just creates Labels of each passed keyword.
http://www.screencast.com/t/xfjTWwws
. If videos aren’t your thing, you can play around with it yourself at
my Virtuallypreinstalled site

As always, the sources are up
in the SVN
, complete with a JAR that you can drop in your 6.2-nightly project. Make sure that you also have
SuperImmediateTextField
, as the README-file instructs.

I’m afraid this solution is not IE-compatible :frowning: For example, if you put this component inside a layout that has a static height, let’s say 30 pixels, the search box will render correctly, but the results layout will be “overflowed” away and hence not visible in IE.

Kim is correct. There are a few other things to note in the README, read it through before using it.

Your component might be just the thing I was going to create and I would really like to see it working on IE :wink:

Few suggestions:

• I think it would be better if the result would disappear after the component loses focus, just the way Vaadin’s Select does it
  • ResultDisplayer could return Component instead of Layout to provide even better control over what is rendered

The problem with the IE compatibility is that the SearchField is a CustomComponent, made out of a textfield and a layout that is made floating underneath the textfield by CSS. IE doesn’t like this trickery. I could write this into a completely new component, that would be IE-compatible, but that would require a lot more work for me, and unfortunately I’m not sure I’m ready to do that investment.

The problem with the focus loss is that the ResultDisplayer could show something with inputs inside. For example, a table of the results, and each row would have a checkbox. That would mean that the focus would be lost, and the result would be hidden, even if the user would’ve wanted to continue look at the results…

And, to your second suggestion, I guess it could return a Component. But the way I intended the component to be used is to return a true Layout. In case I get the inspiration to do some other work with the component, I might take this into consideration. But, don’t hold your breath :confused:

Great news, IE-folks! The SearchField is now updated to 2.0.0, and it should be working on all IE-versions too. Newest version
available in the Directory
. The component gets an added dependency of PopupButton, and now requires Vaadin 6.3.0 to work.

PS: my virtuallypreinstalled demo site is currently down, so this weekend will be without a demo. I’ll try to remember to fix this on monday, with a fresh demo war to boot.

PPS: site is back up, SearchField demo is updated

SearchField has been updated to 2.0.1. No functional changes made, the requirement has just been updated to PopupButton 1.0.0, which has changed the widgetset name. 2.0.0 is still available, if you prefer PopupButton 0.9

Hi, I have an issue with SearchField component, the result display layout always show on top of the text field, wondering what’s going wrong.

I’m using all latest version of SearchField, PopupButton, SearchImmediateTextField.
I tried to use PopupButton 1.0.0 version, still the same.
Btw. Vaadin 6.6.0 is used

Thank you.

Sorry for not noticing your question before this.

This sounds weird. I’d love to take a look at it, but I’m kind of busy right now… It might be some weird layouting problem, or then PopupButton is acting weird. I’ll see if I can find some time to try and fix this.

Thanks for the heads-up

SearchField and Console is important addon for me ,
Someone has solution how to resolve these addon problems?
I’ve downloaded latest version of addons.

i got errors as shown below :

Loading inherited module ‘org.vaadin.henrik.searchfield.SearchfieldApplicationWidgetset’
Loading inherited module ‘org.vaadin.henrik.superimmediatetextfield.SuperimmediatetextfieldApplicationWidgetset’
[ERROR]
Unable to find ‘org/vaadin/henrik/superimmediatetextfield/SuperimmediatetextfieldApplicationWidgetset.gwt.xml’ on your classpath; could be a typo, or maybe you forgot to include a classpath entry for source?
[ERROR]
Line 5: Unexpected exception while processing element ‘inherits’
com.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException: (see previous log entries)
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.nestedLoad(ModuleDefLoader.java:239)
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefSchema$BodySchema.__inherits_begin(ModuleDefSchema.java:354)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.HandlerMethod.invokeBegin(HandlerMethod.java:223)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser$Impl.startElement(ReflectiveParser.java:270)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXParser.java:501)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(AbstractXMLDocumentParser.java:179)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.emptyElement(XMLDTDValidator.java:788)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1343)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:2755)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:648)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:511)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:808)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:737)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:119)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1205)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:522)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser$Impl.parse(ReflectiveParser.java:327)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser$Impl.access$100(ReflectiveParser.java:48)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser.parse(ReflectiveParser.java:398)
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.nestedLoad(ModuleDefLoader.java:257)
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefSchema$BodySchema.__inherits_begin(ModuleDefSchema.java:354)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.HandlerMethod.invokeBegin(HandlerMethod.java:223)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser$Impl.startElement(ReflectiveParser.java:270)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXParser.java:501)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(AbstractXMLDocumentParser.java:179)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.emptyElement(XMLDTDValidator.java:788)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1343)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:2755)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:648)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:511)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:808)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:737)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:119)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1205)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:522)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser$Impl.parse(ReflectiveParser.java:327)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser$Impl.access$100(ReflectiveParser.java:48)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser.parse(ReflectiveParser.java:398)
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader$1.load(ModuleDefLoader.java:169)
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.doLoadModule(ModuleDefLoader.java:283)
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.loadFromClassPath(ModuleDefLoader.java:141)
at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTCompiler.run(GWTCompiler.java:155)
at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTCompiler$1.run(GWTCompiler.java:126)
at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.doRun(CompileTaskRunner.java:87)
at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.runWithAppropriateLogger(CompileTaskRunner.java:81)
at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTCompiler.main(GWTCompiler.java:133)
[ERROR]
Failure while parsing XML
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.DefaultSchema.onHandlerException(DefaultSchema.java:56)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.Schema.onHandlerException(Schema.java:66)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.HandlerMethod.invokeBegin(HandlerMethod.java:233)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.doLoadModule(ModuleDefLoader.java:283)
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.loadFromClassPath(ModuleDefLoader.java:141)
at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.runWithAppropriateLogger(CompileTaskRunner.java:81)
[ERROR]
Unexpected error while processing XML
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser$Impl.parse(ReflectiveParser.java:351)
[ERROR]
Line 4: Unexpected exception while processing element ‘inherits’
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.nestedLoad(ModuleDefLoader.java:260)
[ERROR]
Failure while parsing XML
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.DefaultSchema.onHandlerException(DefaultSchema.java:56)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.HandlerMethod.invokeBegin(HandlerMethod.java:233)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:737) at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:119) at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1205) at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:522) at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser$Impl.parse(ReflectiveParser.java:327) at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser$Impl.access$100(ReflectiveParser.java:48) at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser.parse(ReflectiveParser.java:398) at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.nestedLoad(ModuleDefLoader.java:257) at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader$1.load(ModuleDefLoader.java:169) at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.doLoadModule(ModuleDefLoader.java:283) at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.loadFromClassPath(ModuleDefLoader.java:141) at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTCompiler.run(GWTCompiler.java:155) at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTCompiler$1.run(GWTCompiler.java:126) at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.doRun(CompileTaskRunner.java:87) at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.runWithAppropriateLogger(CompileTaskRunner.java:81) at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTCompiler.main(GWTCompiler.java:133)[ERROR]
Unexpected error while processing XMLcom.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException: (see previous log entries) at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser$Impl.parse(ReflectiveParser.java:351) at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser$Impl.access$100(ReflectiveParser.java:48) at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.ReflectiveParser.parse(ReflectiveParser.java:398) at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.nestedLoad(ModuleDefLoader.java:257) at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader$1.load(ModuleDefLoader.java:169) at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.doLoadModule(ModuleDefLoader.java:283) at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.loadFromClassPath(ModuleDefLoader.java:141) at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTCompiler.run(GWTCompiler.java:155) at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTCompiler$1.run(GWTCompiler.java:126) at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.doRun(CompileTaskRunner.java:87) at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.runWithAppropriateLogger(CompileTaskRunner.java:81) at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTCompiler.main(GWTCompiler.java:133)ERROR: Compilation ended due to an error.

Okay fixed , I needed to install dependencies.

1+ Thing.
It will be great if key down and key up support for selections.

Hi, how can I enable selection of the entries in the popup?
As when using a ComboBox with filtering or the Google searchfield.

Hello,
Is it possible to set some text programmatically in the search field? Like using method setValue() of com.vaadin.ui.TextField.

Hello,

SearchField works fine for me, but when the SearchField is aligned to the right of the screen, the popup gets positioned on the left side of the component. It happens either inside AbsoluteLayout and HorizontalLayout. I can correct it adding some pixels on the left property of “element.style” in the css, but it should work well without this kind of trickery.

Thanks in advance.
12183.png

After taking a look at the source code, I think it happens because the component needs 20 extra pixels on the right.

Hey Henrik,

any plans to port this addOn to Vaadin 7?

Regards
Oliver

Why aren’t the dependencies defined in the POM?

I didn’t expect to do manual dependency management with maven… :wacko:

Hello, is this component still maintained?
If so, is there any way to access the encapsulated textfield other than rewriting the component from the source by myself?
It could be useful to have some valid way to have r/w access to the underlying text field, and set its properties as if they were the searchfield properties (text length, tab order in a form, datasource, and things like that)

Thanks anyway for the cool component.
Bye