Drop in GWT replacement? Missing packages/classes

Trying to drop in vaadin-client for gwt-user and it fails at compile time – gwt-user has a class in two different packages:

com.google.gwt.event.shared.UmbrellaException
and
com.google.web.bindery.event.shared.UmbrellaException

while vaadin-client only has:
com.google.web.bindery.event.shared.UmbrellaException

so any class files that import from com.google.gwt.event.shared.* fail to compile with package does not exist.

This is only one example but there are hundreds of build errors with the same problem in my existing code base (package com.google.gwt.event.dom.client does not exist, com.google.gwt.core.client does not exist, etc.)

Bump…really? The docs say that Vaadin 7 is a direct drop-in replacement for GWT and in my experience it broke immediately and no one else has any input? Is the doc I read that stated this out-of-date and this no longer the case? Or is there something else I’m missing?

Those classes are in vaadin-shared.jar, can you check if importing it works for you?

That helped…a little. Adding that to the list of jars helped resolve some classes, but I’ve found that the gwt-dev.jar that I am using also contains some third party classes (e.g. com.google.gwt.thirdparty.guava.common.collect.Multimap) that are not in the stated gwt-dev.jar replacement (vaadin-client-compiler-x.x.x.jar) but is actually bundled in vaadin/lib/guava-16.0.1.vaadin1.jar.

My original gwt-dev.jar also has org.apache.tools.ant.types.ZipScanner – which is found in vaadin/lib/ant-1.6.5.jar

Short moral here is that “drop-in replacement” is anything but plug and play in my case thus far…I had been hoping it would be merely replacing the relevant gwt-*.jars but it’s not been nearly that simple.