Can't Get Sampler for TouchKit to work - New to Vaadin

I’ve been trying to follow the basic tutorial for the Vaadin TouchKit ‘Sampler’ application and cannot quite decipher what the problem is.

This url does not work: http://dev.vaadin.com/svn/incubator/VaadinTouch/src/org/vaadin/touchkit/ → responds with a

"404 Not Found

The requested URL /svn/incubator/VaadinTouch/src/org/vaadin/touchkit/ was not found on this server."

In addition, after creating the SamplerHome page and creating empty classes and removing errors in the @Override annotations, I am unable to get the application to run or give any ( again, new at this ) valid information as to the issue.

I have both the vaadin-6.6.4.jar and the vaadin-touchkit-1.0.0.jar file and am using Tomcat 7.

Is there a page hidden that I am missing, or is there another way to get the full source for the demo application?

My company is review mobile frameworks, and I’ve been able to get a number of them up and running without issue, as well as the base Vaadin AddressBook application. I’m on day two of trying to get the touchkit to invoke.

Here is the output of my console: ( Does this mean Touchkit won’t play with Tomcat 7? )

Aug 18, 2011 3:17:51 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jre6/bin/client;C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jre6/bin;C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jre6/lib/i386;C:\Program Files (x86)\Seagate Software\NOTES;C:\Program Files (x86)\Seagate Software\NOTES\DATA;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_17\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\NetBeans 6.8\java\ant;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem;C:\Sun\SDK\bin;C:\eclipse;;.
Aug 18, 2011 3:17:51 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule begin
WARNING: [SetPropertiesRule]
{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property ‘source’ to ‘org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.server:TouchKitPlayground’ did not find a matching property.
Aug 18, 2011 3:17:51 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol init
INFO: Initializing ProtocolHandler [“http-bio-8080”]

Aug 18, 2011 3:17:51 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol init
INFO: Initializing ProtocolHandler [“ajp-bio-8009”]

Aug 18, 2011 3:17:51 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 463 ms
Aug 18, 2011 3:17:51 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService startInternal
INFO: Starting service Catalina
Aug 18, 2011 3:17:51 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine startInternal
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/7.0.19
Aug 18, 2011 3:17:51 PM org.apache.catalina.util.SessionIdGenerator createSecureRandom
INFO: Creation of SecureRandom instance for session ID generation using [SHA1PRNG]
took [107]
milliseconds.
Aug 18, 2011 3:17:51 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler [“http-bio-8080”]

Aug 18, 2011 3:17:51 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler [“ajp-bio-8009”]

Aug 18, 2011 3:17:51 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 373 ms

Hi,

Try
http://dev.vaadin.com/svn/incubator/VaadinTouch/src/com/vaadin/touchkit/
instead. As for the other question of why your application isn’t working – that Tomcat log seems pretty normal to me, didn’t see any real errors there (not sure about that one warning though). Did you get any real error messages in your logs?

Ah. Thank you so much. That was a huge help! The last issue I’ve got is that in nearly every package and class, there are errors in the Eclipse project - most of them indicating that I need to remove @Override annotations. That isn’t standard, is it?

I’ve got to be missing something so simple…

Ok. So I’ve got it now.

There are a number things in the tutorial that are a bit out of date.

1. The link to the Vaadin Svn should have the ‘org’ replaced with ‘com’.
  2. It is no longer necessary to add @Override annotations to the itemTouched methods on the Sampler page.
  3. The MobileApplicationServlet.writeAjaxPageHtmlHeader method needs to look like below since the new library ( 1.0 ) needs the request object, which is missing from the tutorial.

@Override
    protected void writeAjaxPageHtmlHeader(BufferedWriter page, String title,
            String themeUri, final HttpServletRequest request) throws IOException {

super.writeAjaxPageHtmlHeader(page, title, themeUri, request);
    }
  1. Be completely sure that the path ( com.example.myapp.MobileApplicationServlet ) is correct in WEB-INF/web.xml in the tags.

Take Care.

j