GoogleMapWidget add-on in Liferay - Unable to find GoogleMaps.gwt.xml

Hi all,

I’m trying to use the GoogleMapWidget add-on here: http://vaadin.com/directory#addon/googlemapwidget in a Liferay portlet. The problem I’m running into is when I try to compile the widgetset in the Liferay Vaadin control panel, the compiler cannot find the GoogleMaps.gwt.xml on my class path. The widget set compiles with no problems in Eclipse for the project build.

Setup-
OSX Lion
Liferay 6.0.6
Tomcat 6.0.29
Vaadin 6.6.4

Steps-

1. Add googlemapwidget-0.9.13.jar and gwt-maps.jar to liferay-portal-6.0.6/tomcat-6.0.29/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib
  2. Navigate to Liferay Control Panel → Vaadin
  3. Click Compile Widget Set button

Console output

Loading inherited module 'org.vaadin.hezamu.googlemapwidget.widgetset.GooglemapwidgetWidgetset'
Loading inherited module 'com.google.gwt.maps.GoogleMaps'
[ERROR]
 Unable to find 'com/google/gwt/maps/GoogleMaps.gwt.xml' on your classpath; could be a typo, or maybe you forgot to include a classpath entry for source?
[ERROR]
 Line 6: Unexpected exception while processing element 'inherits'
com.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException: (see previous log entries)
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefLoader.nestedLoad(ModuleDefLoader.java:262)
at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDefSchema$BodySchema.__inherits_begin(ModuleDefSchema.java:495)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

I can’t figure out why the gwt compiles fine in my Eclipse project but the compiler can’t even find the XML for GoogleMaps when it’s in the same folder as the googlemapwidget jar. Any ideas? Anyone running this add-on in a Liferay Vaadin portlet?

I saw in a few places that using a newer version of the gwt-maps.jar compiled to GWT 2.3 might help. I’ve tried that and get the same error.

Exactly the same problem here.
I placed the plugin jars in tomcat shared libs too, but I get the same error.
I’ll try to use OpenLayer plugin, that correctly compiles in liferay

hi, did you figure this out as Im having the samme issue

I’m even not able to build the a vadin maven project using the googlemap widget in eclipse: I added the dependency to the googlemapwidget:

org.vaadin.addons
googlemapwidget

But the GTW compiler fails:

[font=Courier New]
Updating GWT module description file…
24.02.2012 13:31:39 com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getAvailableWidgetSets
INFO: Widgetsets found from classpath:
org.vaadin.hezamu.googlemapwidget.widgetset.GooglemapwidgetWidgetset in jar:file:C:/repository/org/vaadin/addons/googlemapwidget/0.9.13/googlemapwidget-0.9.13.jar!/
com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.DefaultWidgetSet in jar:file:C:/repository/com/vaadin/vaadin/6.7.5/vaadin-6.7.5.jar!/

24.02.2012 13:31:39 com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getAvailableWidgetSets
INFO: Search took 6ms
Done.
Starting GWT compiler
Loading inherited module ‘org.vaadin.hezamu.googlemapwidget.widgetset.GooglemapwidgetWidgetset’
Loading inherited module ‘com.google.gwt.maps.GoogleMaps’
[ERROR]
Unable to find ‘com/google/gwt/maps/GoogleMaps.gwt.xml’ on your classpath; could be a typo, or maybe you forgot to include a classpath entry for source?
[ERROR]
Line 6: Unexpected exception while processing element ‘inherits’
[/font]

Any Idea what’s going on?

I got this widget to work with Liferay 6.1 and Vaadin 6.7.5 by adding the jars in the 0.9.13 zip file to ROOT/WEB-INF/lib . Then I had to restart the server so the Vaadin Control Panel could find the plugin (not sure if this was necessary). I added gwt-maps.jar under ‘Manage Additional Dependencies’ in the Vaadin Control Panel. This got me past the class path problem, but the widget compilation still failed. I went and found the most recent stable version of gwt-maps, which was 1.1.1 , and replaced the old gwt-maps.jar with the newer one , and then the widget compilation finally succeeded and my portlet appeared.