Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

Migrate from desktop

Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
8 years ago May 08, 2014 1:45pm
Marko Grönroos
8 years ago May 08, 2014 8:34pm
  1. Not currently. There are some tricks you can do, but the component selection is very limited, sorry.
  2. No, that's the basic idea in Vaadin that it's handled by the framework.
  3. Yes.
  4. Vaadin does not support any particular i18n system, but you can use any, including a Java-based implementation of Gettext.
  5. Vaadin doesn't include authentication. You are free to use other frameworks for that, such as Spring or portals for that.
  6. I think there are in the Vaadin Directory.
  7. What is a self permissions module? Probably not. That is probably something out of scope of Vaadin, and there might be implementations that you could use.
  8. You could see here.
  9. I don't think so. I mostly recommend using the Visual Editor as a learning tool, and just coding the UI after you have learned enough.
  10. I don't quite know what you want here. You can develop portlets with Vaadin and embed Vaadin UIs in web pages.
Last updated on May, 8th 2014
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
8 years ago May 08, 2014 9:02pm
Marko Grönroos
8 years ago May 09, 2014 11:50am

Yes, it is unfortunate that Vaadin does not yet have proper RTL language support, which makes it limited use in many countries.

GWT (which Vaadin uses) actually has, but the integration is not there yet, and Vaadin does not use normal GWT widgets much.

Do I've to modify client side codes or the framework handle it (In Wt I just need to work on server side and Wt completes the rest)?

The Vaadin framework normally handles all client-side stuff, so you only code server-side. If you need some client-side features that are not included in the Vaadin or any of its add-ons, you may need to do client-side coding. Looks like Wt is similar in how you use it. I don't know it enough to give any comparison.

Spring is a widely used Java framework, especially for enterprise applications, and its integration with Vaadin is indeed a common question. Some of the integration questions are answered in this article.

Simple authentication is not much work to implement from scratch, but frameworks like Spring Security allow easy integration with many authentication systems, such as LDAP, OpenID, etc. Building the web app inside a portal as a portlet, you can have the portal handle the authentication, so it's even easier, although developing portlets is a bit more work.

Last updated on May, 9th 2014
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
8 years ago May 12, 2014 7:52am
Marko Grönroos
8 years ago May 12, 2014 7:46pm
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
8 years ago May 13, 2014 8:02am
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
8 years ago May 13, 2014 8:09am