From Sping MVC to Vaadin

Hi,

I’ve started to build a new UI with Vaadin for an existing Spring MVC application. I read the book of Vaadin and lots of articles here in the forum but I have still have problems to “find the right way”. My basic problem is how to convert the old page centric design to the one-window-Vaadin design.

My first idea was to create one Window class per old page. But with this approach I saw, that I couldn’t replace the main window without a browser refresh or opening a new browser window.

So here are my questions:

• how do you design your real world applications? Do you use Windows or Panels as “Pages” or do you wrap your pages into Views and switch between them?
  • If you use Views and one Main Window: do you link all your callbacks into this one main window?
  • How do you separate your different modules?
  • What is best practice?

Any help is much appreciated

Andreas

Important thing is not to try to simulate page flows with Vaadin - as this is not a page oriented framework.

You should think the UI as a set of components - each implementing its own “view” to some functionality or data in the system. Then put the components together in a way that make user use-cases natural and usable.

CustomComponent is your best friend when implementing the UI functionality. Extend it to create functional pieces.

Using windows to simulate web pages not a good idea - do not try it :wink:

Designing navigation depends from application to application. For one example and practice, take a look at
Navigator add-on

Hi Joonas,

thank you for your reply.

In the meantime, I found out myself, that Windows won’t help me a lot. So far, I’m descending my components from HorizontalLayout or VerticalLayout. I will definetely look at the CustomComponent.

I think the Navigator add-on is a must for my application, because I need to access different “pages” resp. “views” from outside (via link).

As a programmer I learn best from examples. Do you have some more source code examples at hand? Or do you know open source projects using vaadin?

There are quite a few open source projects using Vaadin.

One list I know is at
https://www.masterbranch.com/vaadin-projects
. It also contains many non-Vaadin projects, though - I guess it is automatically generated based on some keyword search.