GeoCharts

Not sure where to ask this, so I will do it here under General Help.

Are there any plans of adding something like Google’s Charts to your Vaadin Charts?

Thanks and regards

Denis

Hi,

No official plans currently, but our parther Highsoft is working currently on choropleth product, that is based on Highcharts. It should be pretty easy to extend Vaadin Charts API for it, an oldish integration example actually covers this already:

https://github.com/vaadin/charts/tree/master/chart-plugin-demo

The newer version from Highsoft has quit substantial changes though.

Also you can do “geocharts” also rather easily with a realy slippy map add-on like V-Leaflet. You’ll just need to code some logic to show different colors for polygons based on their “value”.

cheers,
matti

Thank you for your answer. I asked because I thought that would be a nice add on to your charts, but vaadin anyway looks amazing.

I am a total noob to vaadin and GWT. First time, some years ago, when I checked, everything was significantly slower, but looked nice. Nowadays it looks, as I said, amazing…

At first I didn’t want to invest time in it, because there is a lot of abstraction, and I prefered to learn more about core tech like javascript, CSS etc. I also never used java for WEB development, but PHP (Zend). Although I have experience with swing-database applications so there was a lot of hesitance and so…

Anyway I hope I will do my best now to learn vaadin, because it gives me a feeling of a reliable, robust, and easy to use tool to make nice looking applications in a no time.

Hi,

Glad you like it. It of course doesn’t harm to know how things work at “low level”, but Vaadin will really let you focus on relevant issues in you application as it tackles great deal of the complexities in web developent.

cheers,
matti