Vaadin 7 Push without Websockets and Internet Explorer 8

Hi,

I have some Vaadin Push related questions:
Is it possible to use Vaadin Push in combination with Internet Explorer 8?
Is it possible to configure Vaadin Push (Atmosphere) so that it doesn’t use Websockets? (there is a limitation in the infrastructure which doesn’t allow us to Websockets)

I’m using Vaadin 7.1.7, is it sufficient to only add the atmosphere-runtime-1.0.14.vaadin4.jar to the classpath?

Thank you very much for any answers!
Mirco

Is it possible to use Vaadin Push in combination with Internet Explorer 8?

Should work without problems. The Vaadin App should automatically fall back to the HTTP Streaming mechanism instead of using WebSockets.

Is it possible to configure Vaadin Push (Atmosphere) so that it doesn’t use Websockets?

Yes by using @Push(transport=Transport.STREAMING)

I’m using Vaadin 7.1.7, is it sufficient to only add the atmosphere-runtime-1.0.14.vaadin4.jar to the classpath?

The necessary atmosphere jar should be already packed inside the vaadin-push jars.

Thank you very very very much for your answer!

I removed the atmosphere-runtime-jar and I’m using only the following jars:

jsoup-1.6.3.jar
vaadin-client-7.1.7.jar
vaadin-client-compiled-7.1.7.jar
vaadin-client-compiler-7.1.7.jar
vaadin-push-7.1.7.jar
vaadin-server-7.1.7.jar
vaadin-shared-7.1.7.jar
vaadin-shared-deps-1.0.2.jar
vaadin-slf4j-jdk14-1.6.1.jar
vaadin-theme-compiler-7.1.7.jar
vaadin-themes-7.1.7.jar

Unfortunately I’m getting the following error when accessing the web application (which probably was the reason why we have the atmosphere-runtime.jar in the classpath).

Atmosphere could not be loaded. When using push with Vaadin, the
Atmosphere framework must be present on the classpath.
If using a dependency management system, please add a dependency
to vaadin-push.
If managing dependencies manually, please make sure Atmosphere
1.0.14.vaadin4 is included on the classpath.
Will fall back to using PushMode.DISABLED.

Oh okay so you’re not using any dependency management system like Ivy (which comes with the Vaadin Plugin for Eclipse) or Maven?
If that’s the case you probably have to add the atmosphere jar to the classpath. Sry about that but the more common case on here is someone using a Dependency management like Ivy or Maven.

No, we’re using Ant and are handling the jars ourselves :wink: Can you tell me if it’s sufficient to have only the atmosphere-runtime-1.0.14.vaadin4.jar in the classpath or do I need more?
Candiates are

• atmosphere-compat-tomcat-1.0.14.vaadin4.jar
  • atmosphere-compat-tomcat7-1.0.14.vaadin4.jar

Thank you again :wink:

I can just guess because i’m using mostly Maven but i would say first try the one without the 7 and if that one doesn’t work try the other one :wink:

That’s what I ended up doing now too :wink: I compared to a Ivy/Eclipse Vaadin Plugin Project and they use those two as well.

I changed the transport like you said:
@Push(transport = Transport.STREAMING)

Unfortunately I’m getting the following error (which I get also when I connected to my Vaadin app with IE 8):

Feb 04, 2014 3:50:08 PM org.atmosphere.cpr.AtmosphereFramework doCometSupport
WARNING: Failed using comet support: org.atmosphere.container.Tomcat7AsyncSupportWithWebSocket, error: Tomcat failed to detect this is a Comet application because context.xml is missing or the Http11NioProtocol Connector is not enabled.
If that's not the case, you can also remove META-INF/context.xml and WEB-INF/lib/atmosphere-compat-tomcat.jar Is the Nio or Apr Connector enabled?
Feb 04, 2014 3:50:08 PM org.atmosphere.cpr.AtmosphereFramework doCometSupport
WARNING: Using org.atmosphere.container.Tomcat7BIOSupportWithWebSocket

Something is not configured correctly but I’m not able to figure out what exactly ;/

Have a look at
this thread