Problem with Exposed Server & Push and Dynamic DNS

Hello Forum,

I have problems to run a Vaadin test application that works in a private network behind a DSL router.

I´m using the Exposed Server-method in the private router dsl configuratoin (“Fritz´Box Router”) to expose the computer with the vaadin application to the internet for this test.

The application is working correct in the home network.

The application is addressable from outside also - but if the applications uses PUSH then only the first page is shown and user interactions are not responded (press button etc.).

Instead of that Vaadins wait indicator is shown in the right upper corner of the browser screen.

Is there a special configuration needed?

And what about when I´m using a Dynamic DNS Server - same problem?

Seems to be that Vaadin push-service doesn´t work as exposed server.

Using Vaadin 7.1.9, Windows 7, Apache Tomcat v6.032 with simple webapps folder.

Greetings

Alex
13403.png

Hi,

I’m not familiar with the Fritz Box, but can you check if it’s using some kind of proxying to enable the exposed host feature? Vaadin push (and websockets in general) has some issues with various proxies. From the release notes of Vaadin:

“Not all proxies are compatible with websockets. If you are using push with an incompatible proxy you might have to force the transport mode to streaming. Some proxies have problems with streaming also - you need to ensure that the proxy does not buffer responses for HTTP streaming to work.”

So please try streaming transport or even disabling push completely.

Hello,

thanks for quick response.

Now I have tried to change to push to transport with @Push(transport = Transport.STREAMING) but it doesn´t work.

The router has no configuration for the exposed host regarding enabling proxying.

It is only possible to expose the local address to the internet.

I tried some configurations (see attachment).

The push feature is very interesting for me.

It enables the application user to communicate among themselves: I can send them messages and let them pop up in another session or I can stop other sessions and force them to a signon screen (controlled by a separate thread).
Worked a while on it to get it run…

13405.png

okay, it seems to be, that the problem is not to solve.

To check if application works outside private network I will deploy it to an VSP - it´s better than local environment.

It´is cheaper…

Regards

Alex

It might not matter in this case, but for all push-related things I recommend using
much
more recent Tomcat than 6.0.x, preferably the latest 7.0 series release. Tomcat 6 does not support WebSockets at all, and even most early 7.0 versions have issues.

Vaadin 7.1.9, Tomcat 7.0.47, manual push are working well for me. Multiple UI’s having quite complex conversions with each other over local and ~70ms internet exhibit no problem. Everything else constant but using Tomcat 7.0.26 - the current Ubuntu version: Spining browser wheels, sessions dropping away… There have been
many recent WEBSOCKET changes in Tomcat
, and the latest Vaadin release made a big difference. It’s a bit of extra work to move away from apt-get for Tomcat in Ubuntu, but necessary for now. I’m sure the same holds true for Windows and other OSs.

Hello Forum,

thanks for the advices and information.

Now I have tried it with Tomcat 7.0.50 and the problem is still the same.

I think it is a problem of the Fritz home router as Teppo mentioned first.

I don´t know all the facts about the proxy stuff regarding to websockets that had to be taken into account…

I will try it with an VSP.

But would be nice to know if other developers have similar problems.

Greetings

Alex