Not showing characters

We made an application with translate functionalities, so we could translate addressess from dutch to for example japanese.

The problem we have is that on some pc’s it’s working correctly and on some it will not show the right characters but . After testing a while it looks like that all pc’s with windows 7 and internet explorer 7/8/9 or chrome/firefox do not have this problem, and pc’s with windows xp and internet explorer 7 do.

We are using Vaadin 6.4.10

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction to solve this? I have no clue at all.

Kind regards
Joël Boerboom

I presume that you have checked the obvious: are the characters you are getting under xp/ie7 indeed the ones you expect (UTF-8, UTF-16, or whatever encoding you selected) ? You may want to use something like “Charles” to see all the headers conveniently. The second thing to check is that the font you are using may well be missing the glyphs for the characters you are sending. I would suggest that you stick with a UTF encoding, and make sure that a Unicode font is forced by your style sheet.