Vaadin 7 - Good framework but not for my project

Hey guys,

This is a wonderful framework, It is very useful to develop colorful web apps. However, I’m totally frustrated by some unexpected things happening in it. I know it is hard to create such a framework where client and server side coding can be done at the same time. It saved me time.

But, I donno why I’m getting communication error, session expired notification, app freeze in the server environment. However, Everything works perfectly fine in my local environment.

Can anyone please tell me why I’m facing these issues?

Problems:

1. Communication Problem? (
    http://dev.vaadin.com/ticket/8466
    )
  2. Session expired message? (I set the session to expire after 300 minutes. But it happens before. But, not all the time)
  3. App freezes sometimes. (I can click buttons, But no use… No actions… Only way is to restart)
  4. Very bad performance in IE. (I know it is common for all web apps. But, my application when compared to other browser; IE totally sucks. Someone please talk with gates to stop IE… :frowning:
  5. Lazy loading in treetable will be really helpful for me.
  6. ICEPush add-on, doing its job perfectly. But, after sometime it is giving me exception in the console.(
    https://vaadin.com/forum#!/thread/234493/4528542
    )
  7. If I do any action in a browser. It is reflected in another browser(another instance of the application. (
    http://dev.vaadin.com/ticket/10208
    )
  8. Context menu add-on: Easy to implement and fantastic. but, gives me exception on multiple right clicks on a slow network.
    https://vaadin.com/forum#!/thread/119996/4455717
  9. Annoying exception messages. what is the need to show it on the UI?

I already spent most of my time in forums. I really got good support from you guys. But, I don’t want to.

I
suspect
the following things will be the reason for the above problems.

1. My Vaadin server is in UK and API server is in US, Is this a reason for the communication problem?
  2. I build components from functions of a Util class. Is this the reason for the problem no 7 on my list. Like this,
ComponentsBuilder.buildVerticalLayout();

And i’m really happy that these issues are also be faced by others. So I hope I will get some solutions. Please help me and spot my mistakes.

Hi,

Quite many questions, some of which would require much more details to consider. For example, if you have some app freezing problems, you should try to isolate the exact problem somehow. In the end, it may not have anything to do with Vaadin.

Your problems with different users could be caused by using invalid references in threads or with static variables, or something like that. It is important to know that all user sessions run in the same servlet, so you need to be careful with global references and threads.

To get rid of unhandled component exception error indicators, you can disable them altogether with:

UI.getCurrent().setErrorHandler(new DefaultErrorHandler() {
    @Override
    public void error(com.vaadin.server.ErrorEvent event) {
        // Do not call the default error handling in doDefault()
    } 
});

However, you might want to at least log such errors, as they usually indicate that errors have not been handled properly in your UI code.

Hey Marko,

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with your opinion about my app freeze problem. I will check for errors from my side.

Wheras I built layouts using static functions(Util class…) so that I can use it on every class I write. Will that be a rason for problem 7?

Thanks

No, static functions should not be a problem, only static data is.

Hi,

For the bad performance of IE, i would like to share my experience.

At the beginning, i used Vaadin 7 designer to draw screen with the absolute layout. But the loading time in IE8 was very slow. nearly 8 seconds.

Later i gave up the designer and rebuilt the screen using vertical layout and horizontal layout. The speed become acceptable in IE8, arround 2 seconds. Hope this can help you.