Vaadin + Maven = Widgetset Problems

Hi everybody,

i´m trying to setup a vaadin 6 maven project but everytime i try to run the project i get this error message:

INFO: Requested resource [VAADIN/widgetsets/de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet/de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet.nocache.js]
not found from filesystem or through class loader. Add widgetset and/or theme JAR to your classpath or add files to WebContent/VAADIN folder.

how can i solve this problem?

edit: when i disable the init-param widgetset path in my web.xml there is no error

<!--         <init-param> -->
<!--     		<param-name>widgetset</param-name> -->
<!--     		<param-value>de.groupid.iosb.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet</param-value> -->
<!-- 		</init-param> -->

but now my application cant find the widgetset for the invient charts addon

Widgetset does not contain implementation for com.invient.vaadin.charts.InvientCharts. Check its @ClientWidget mapping, widgetsets GWT module description file and re-compile your widgetset. In case you have downloaded a vaadin add-on package, you might want to refer to add-on instructions. Unrendered UIDL:
-Unrendered UIDL
-com.invient.vaadin.charts.InvientCharts(NO CLIENT IMPLEMENTATION FOUND) id=PID20 isRetrieveSVG=false isPrint=false reloadChartSeries=false
-options
-title text=Browser market shares at a specific website, 2010
-subtitle
-credit
-position
-legend
-tooltip
-chart type=pie zoomType= clientZoom=true
-seriesOptionsPerSeriesType
-pie allowPointSelect=true cursor=pointer
-dataLabel enabled=true formatter=function() { return '<b>'+ this.point.name +'</b>: '+ this.y +' %';} connectorColor=rgb(0,0,0)
-state
-xAxes

thank you

Did you compile the widgetset when compiling the project.

Depending on the version of the archetype used, this might not have been automatically bound to the lifecycle, so you might need to do “mvn vaadin:update-widgetset gwt:compile package” or for later versions of the Maven plug-in “mvn vaadin:update-widgetset vaadin:compile package” (these will take a little while).

If the widgetset was correctly compiled, it is possible that it was compiled to a location that did not get included in the WAR by maven-war-plugin. Check if your WAR file contains your widgetset at VAADIN/widgetsets, or get included by the server runner plug-in. Which server are you using? Jetty? Tomcat? Some other? Which version, and which version of the server runner plug-in?

i used the vaadin-archetype-clean 1.7.2

when i run “vaadin:update-widgetset gwt:compile package” i get this error

[ERROR]
 Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:gwt-maven-plugin:2.2.0:compile (default-cli) on project temp: Failed to read module XML file java.io.FileInputStream@74f4f397: in comment after two dashes (--) next character must be > not \n (position: END_TAG seen ...its name="com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.DefaultWidgetSet" />\n\t\n    <!--\n... @20:1) -> [Help 1]

vaadin:update-widgetset vaadin:compile package throws this error

[ERROR]
 Could not find goal 'compile' in plugin com.vaadin:vaadin-maven-plugin:1.0.2 among available goals update-widgetset -> [Help 1]

sorry i´m total new in maven :smiley:
what am I doing wrong

It looks like your widgetset file (or possibly your pom.xml) is not valid XML but has broken comments, and the compilation of the widgetset fails because of that. If you didn’t modify it directly, perhaps some formatting tool/editor that does not understand XML properly broke it.

ok the pom was incorrect… i solved the problem and now it it working.

after running “vaadin:update-widgetset gwt:compile package” i get a build success message but there are some errors during the compiliation:

ERROR] INFO: Widgetsets found from classpath:
[ERROR]
     com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.DefaultWidgetSet in jar:file:C:/(myrepositorypath)/.m2/repository/com/vaadin/vaadin/6.8.2/vaadin-6.8.2.jar!/
[ERROR]
     de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet in file://H/(myworkspacepath)/temp/src/main/java
[ERROR]
     com.invient.vaadin.charts.widgetset.InvientChartsWidgetset in jar:file:C:/(myrepositorypath)/.m2/repository/org/vaadin/addons/invient-charts/0.8.6/invient-charts-0.8.6.jar!/
[ERROR]

[ERROR]
 Okt 28, 2013 1:12:46 PM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getAvailableWidgetSets
[ERROR]
 INFO: Search took 10ms

here is my widgetset.gwt.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE module PUBLIC "-//Google Inc.//DTD Google Web Toolkit 1.7.0//EN" "http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/tags/1.7.0/distro-source/core/src/gwt-module.dtd">
<module>
    <inherits name="com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.DefaultWidgetSet" />
    <inherits name="com.invient.vaadin.charts.widgetset.InvientChartsWidgetset" />

</module>

These are not real errors even though Maven interprets the output of the widgetset update (and perhaps parts of widgetset compilation) as such.

hmm ok but there is still something wrong…

when i start the application the same error appears:

Widgetset does not contain implementation for com.invient.vaadin.charts.InvientCharts. Check its @ClientWidget mapping, widgetsets GWT module description file and re-compile your widgetset. In case you have downloaded a vaadin add-on package, you might want to refer to add-on instructions. Unrendered UIDL:
-Unrendered UIDL-com.invient.vaadin.charts.InvientCharts(NO CLIENT IMPLEMENTATION FOUND) id=PID10 isRetrieveSVG=false isPrint=false reloadChartSeries=false-options
-subtitle
-credit
-position
-legend
-tooltip
-dataLabel enabled=true formatter=function() { return '<b>'+ this.point.name +'</b>: '+ this.y +' %';} connectorColor=rgb(0,0,0)
-state
-xAxes
-yAxes
-labels

The message above did say that InvientCharts widgetset was found and it was included in your .gwt.xml file, so I suspect your application is not configured to use your widgetset. Check the widgetset parameter in your web.xml.

your right. i removed the widgetset part for testing. when i insert it again with the path of the gwt.xml i´m getting this error:

Okt 28, 2013 2:51:45 PM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.AbstractApplicationServlet serveStaticResourcesInVAADIN
INFO: Requested resource [VAADIN/widgetsets/de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet/de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet.nocache.js]
 not found from filesystem or through class loader. Add widgetset and/or theme JAR to your classpath or add files to WebContent/VAADIN folder.

<init-param>
    		<param-name>widgetset</param-name>
    		<param-value>de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet</param-value>
		</init-param>

but this file exists :frowning:

ahh i found the fault…

i defined a jetty server in my main class

//		Server server = new Server(8088);
//    	
//    	WebAppContext context = new WebAppContext();
//    	context.setContextPath("/");
//    	context.setResourceBase("./src/main/webapp");
//    	server.setHandler(context);

after removing this part and starting the jetty over “jetty:run” the fault is gone but the originally fault appears :frowning:

-Unrendered UIDL
-com.invient.vaadin.charts.InvientCharts(NO CLIENT IMPLEMENTATION FOUND) id=PID10 isRetrieveSVG=false isPrint=false reloadChartSeries=false
-options
-subtitle
-credit
-position
-legend
-tooltip
-state
-xAxes
-yAxes
-labels
-chartData

A few things to check:

Is your application actually loading your custom widgetset and not DefaultWidgetSet (check e.g. the network tab in browser debug tools)?

Try to compile the widgetset with verbose output (add INFO to the GWT plug-in configuration if not already there) and look for lines about com.invient.vaadin.charts.InvientCharts in the output or copy the complete output of the widgetset compilation phase here if you are unable to interpret it. It should list InvientCharts among the widgets included in the widgetset.

#1: the application is unsing my widgetset:

#2 you mean under project properties → vaadin → verbose output? its allready enabled
after “vaadin-update-widgetset gwt:compile package” here is the output:

[INFO]
 Scanning for projects...
[WARNING]

[WARNING]
 Some problems were encountered while building the effective model for groupid:temp:war:0.0.1-SNAPSHOT
[WARNING]
 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin is missing. @ line 72, column 12
[WARNING]

[WARNING]
 It is highly recommended to fix these problems because they threaten the stability of your build.
[WARNING]

[WARNING]
 For this reason, future Maven versions might no longer support building such malformed projects.
[WARNING]

[INFO]

[INFO]
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO]
 Building Vaadin Web Application 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT
[INFO]
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- vaadin-maven-plugin:1.0.2:update-widgetset (default-cli) @ temp ---
[INFO]
 auto discovered modules [de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet]

[INFO]
 Updating widgetset de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet
[ERROR]
 Okt 29, 2013 10:24:02 AM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getAvailableWidgetSets
[ERROR]
 INFO: Widgetsets found from classpath:
[ERROR]
      com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.DefaultWidgetSet in jar:file:C:/(mypath)/.m2/repository/com/vaadin/vaadin/6.8.9/vaadin-6.8.9.jar!/
[ERROR]
      de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet in file://H/(mypath)\/temp/src/main/java
[ERROR]
      com.invient.vaadin.charts.widgetset.InvientChartsWidgetset in jar:file:C:/(mypath)/.m2/repository/org/vaadin/addons/invient-charts/0.8.6/invient-charts-0.8.6.jar!/
[ERROR]

[ERROR]
 Okt 29, 2013 10:24:02 AM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getAvailableWidgetSets
[ERROR]
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- gwt-maven-plugin:2.3.0-1:compile (default-cli) @ temp ---
[INFO]

[INFO]
 de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet is up to date. GWT compilation skipped
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- maven-resources-plugin:2.5:resources (default-resources) @ temp ---
[debug]
 execute contextualize
[INFO]
 Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
[INFO]
 skip non existing resourceDirectory H:\ (mypath)\\temp\src\main\resources
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- gwt-maven-plugin:2.3.0-1:resources (default) @ temp ---
[INFO]

[INFO]
 1 source files from GWT module de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:compile (default-compile) @ temp ---
[INFO]
 Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- vaadin-maven-plugin:1.0.2:update-widgetset (default) @ temp ---
[INFO]

[INFO]
 Updating widgetset de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet
[ERROR]
 Okt 29, 2013 10:24:04 AM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getAvailableWidgetSets
[ERROR]
 INFO: Widgetsets found from classpath:
[ERROR]
      com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.DefaultWidgetSet in jar:file:C:/(mypath)/.m2/repository/com/vaadin/vaadin/6.8.9/vaadin-6.8.9.jar!/
[ERROR]
      de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet in file://H/(mypath)/temp/src/main/java
[ERROR]
      com.invient.vaadin.charts.widgetset.InvientChartsWidgetset in jar:file:C:/(mypath)/.m2/repository/org/vaadin/addons/invient-charts/0.8.6/invient-charts-0.8.6.jar!/
[ERROR]

[ERROR]
 Okt 29, 2013 10:24:04 AM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getAvailableWidgetSets
[ERROR]
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- maven-resources-plugin:2.5:testResources (default-testResources) @ temp ---
[debug]
 execute contextualize
[INFO]
 Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
[INFO]
 skip non existing resourceDirectory H:\ (mypath)\\temp\src\test\resources
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:testCompile (default-testCompile) @ temp ---
[INFO]
 No sources to compile
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- maven-surefire-plugin:2.10:test (default-test) @ temp ---
[INFO]
 Surefire report directory: H:\(mypath)\temp\target\surefire-reports

-------------------------------------------------------
 T E S T S
-------------------------------------------------------

Results :

Tests run: 0, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0

[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- gwt-maven-plugin:2.3.0-1:compile (default) @ temp ---
[INFO]

[INFO]
 de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet is up to date. GWT compilation skipped
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- maven-war-plugin:2.1.1:war (default-war) @ temp ---
[INFO]
 Packaging webapp
[INFO]
 Assembling webapp [temp]
 in [H:\ (mypath)\\temp\target\temp-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT]

[INFO]
 Processing war project
[INFO]
 Copying webapp resources [H:\ (mypath)\\temp\src\main\webapp]

[INFO]
 Webapp assembled in [12298 msecs]

[INFO]
 Building war: H:\ (mypath)\\temp\target\temp-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.war
[WARNING]
 Warning: selected war files include a WEB-INF/web.xml which will be ignored
(webxml attribute is missing from war task, or ignoreWebxml attribute is specified as 'true')
[INFO]
[INFO]
 BUILD SUCCESS
[INFO]
[INFO]
 Total time: 27.321s
[INFO]
 Finished at: Tue Oct 29 10:24:27 CET 2013
[INFO]
 Final Memory: 14M/215M
[INFO]

The option in the Eclipse plug-in only affects widgetset compilation by Eclipse for non-Maven projects, so you’ll need to add the logLevel option in your pom.xml .

In this case, the widgetset was not compiled to I can’t really tell what went in it.
Forcing widgetset recompilation with “mvn clean gwt:clean gwt:compile” would produce more information.

ohh ok sorry, this was the wrong output file…

[INFO]
 Scanning for projects...
[WARNING]

[WARNING]
 Some problems were encountered while building the effective model for groupid:temp:war:0.0.1-SNAPSHOT
[WARNING]
 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin is missing. @ line 73, column 12
[WARNING]

[WARNING]
 It is highly recommended to fix these problems because they threaten the stability of your build.
[WARNING]

[WARNING]
 For this reason, future Maven versions might no longer support building such malformed projects.
[WARNING]

[INFO]

[INFO]
[INFO]
 Building Vaadin Web Application 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT
[INFO]
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- maven-clean-plugin:2.4.1:clean (default-clean) @ temp ---
[INFO]
 Deleting H:\workspace\temp\target
[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- gwt-maven-plugin:2.3.0-1:clean (default-cli) @ temp ---
[INFO]

[INFO]

[INFO]
 --- gwt-maven-plugin:2.3.0-1:compile (default-cli) @ temp ---
[INFO]

[INFO]
 Compiling module de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet
[INFO]
    Scanning for additional dependencies: jar:file:/C:/(mypath)/.m2/repository/com/vaadin/vaadin/6.8.9/vaadin-6.8.9.jar!/com/vaadin/terminal/gwt/client/WidgetSet.java
[INFO]
       Computing all possible rebind results for 'com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.client.WidgetMap'
[INFO]
          Rebinding com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.client.WidgetMap
[INFO]
             Invoking generator com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.EagerWidgetMapGenerator
[INFO]
                Detecting Vaadin components in classpath to generate WidgetMapImpl.java ...
[ERROR]
 Okt 29, 2013 10:51:40 AM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getPaintablesHavingWidgetAnnotation
[ERROR]
 INFO: Searching for paintables..
[ERROR]
 Okt 29, 2013 10:51:42 AM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getPaintablesHavingWidgetAnnotation
[ERROR]
 INFO: Search took 1370ms
[INFO]
                Widget set will contain implementations for following components:
[INFO]
                     com.invient.vaadin.charts.InvientCharts
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.AbsoluteLayout
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Accordion
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Audio
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Button
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.CheckBox
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.ComboBox
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.CssLayout
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.CustomComponent
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.CustomLayout
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.DateField
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.DragAndDropWrapper
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Embedded
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Form
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.FormLayout
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.GridLayout
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.HorizontalLayout
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.HorizontalSplitPanel
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.InlineDateField
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Label
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Link
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.ListSelect
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.MenuBar
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.NativeButton
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.NativeSelect
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.OptionGroup
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.OrderedLayout
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Panel
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.PasswordField
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.PopupView
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.ProgressIndicator
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.RichTextArea
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Select
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Slider
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.SplitPanel
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.TabSheet
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Table
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.TextArea
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.TextField
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Tree
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.TreeTable
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.TwinColSelect
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Upload
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.UriFragmentUtility
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.VerticalLayout
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.VerticalSplitPanel
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Video
[INFO]
                     com.vaadin.ui.Window
[INFO]
                Done. (1seconds)
[INFO]
    Scanning for additional dependencies: jar:file:/C:/(mypath)/.m2/repository/com/vaadin/vaadin/6.8.9/vaadin-6.8.9.jar!/com/vaadin/terminal/gwt/client/ui/dd/VAcceptCriteria.java
[INFO]
       Computing all possible rebind results for 'com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.client.ui.dd.VAcceptCriterionFactory'
[INFO]
          Rebinding com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.client.ui.dd.VAcceptCriterionFactory
[INFO]
             Invoking generator com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.AcceptCriteriaFactoryGenerator
[INFO]
                Detecting available criteria ...
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.event.dd.acceptcriteria.SourceIs
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.event.dd.acceptcriteria.SourceIsTarget
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.ui.Tree.TargetInSubtree
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.event.dd.acceptcriteria.ServerSideCriterion
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.ui.AbstractSelect.TargetItemIs
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.event.dd.acceptcriteria.AcceptAll
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.event.dd.acceptcriteria.And
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.event.dd.acceptcriteria.Or
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.ui.Tree.TreeDropCriterion
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.event.dd.acceptcriteria.Not
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.ui.Table.TableDropCriterion
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.ui.AbstractSelect.AcceptItem
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.event.dd.acceptcriteria.ContainsDataFlavor
[INFO]
                creating mapping for com.vaadin.event.dd.acceptcriteria.TargetDetailIs
[INFO]
                Done. (0seconds)
[INFO]
    Compiling 6 permutations
[INFO]
       Compiling permutation 0...
[INFO]
       Process output
[INFO]
          Compiling
[INFO]
             Compiling permutation 1...
[INFO]
       Compiling permutation 2...
[INFO]
          Compiling
[INFO]
             Compiling permutation 3...
[INFO]
       Compiling permutation 4...
[INFO]
          Compiling
[INFO]
             Compiling permutation 5...
[INFO]
    Compile of permutations succeeded
[INFO]
 Linking into H:\workspace\temp\target\temp-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT\VAADIN\widgetsets\de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet
[INFO]
    Link succeeded
[INFO]
    Compilation succeeded -- 95,361s
[INFO]
[INFO]
 BUILD SUCCESS
[INFO]
[INFO]
 Total time: 1:38.937s
[INFO]
 Finished at: Tue Oct 29 10:52:58 CET 2013
[INFO]
 Final Memory: 9M/151M
[INFO]
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The widget InvientCharts was correctly compiled into the widgetset de.groupid.temp.widgetset.MyAppWidgetSet so if it is in use, you shouldn’t see the error of the earlier post.

sorry but i always get the same error :frowning:

-Unrendered UIDL-com.invient.vaadin.charts.InvientCharts(NO CLIENT IMPLEMENTATION FOUND) id=PID10 isRetrieveSVG=false isPrint=false reloadChartSeries=false-options
-subtitle
-credit
-position
-legend
-tooltip
-seriesOptionsPerSeriesType-pie allowPointSelect=true cursor=pointer

shouldn´t there be a folder with com.invientcharts or something else under vaadin/widgetsets?
if so, it is missing

i don´t know why and how but the error is gone. but there is still no chart :frowning:

but i think there must be something wrong with my copied code from the example