Vaadin Charts hang browser on setCategories()

One of my colleagues noticed that the browser would hang on several of the charts she tried. These were COLUMN charts (i.e. vertical bar charts). I debugged through the Java code that built the chart and nothing seemed amiss. But every time the chart got stuck on “Chart loading…” in the browser and the browser would become pretty unresponsive (after awhile, the browser offered to stop the Javascript).

Not being a Javascript developer, I couldn’t really debug it further on the browser side, but I did notice that when I removed the YAxis.setCategories(String rowLabels) call, the chart showed up just fine - albeit with just numbers as tick labels. Looking at the array I passed in, I see that there were 83 Strings - all of them fairly long (20-40 characters?), so there was no way that they would have fit next to each other on the axis, unless they were written out rotated 90deg. Either Charts should have done that or simply overlap the text - hanging (or at least coming to a crawl) is some kind of bug. Not sure how this should be handled. Is this a support issue? I have a developers license.

I found where to file bugs and created a new one: http://dev.vaadin.com/ticket/12530

Actually, I think I’ve misidentified the cause - seems like it has nothing to do with the number or length of strings passed into setCategories() (I tried it with {“ABC”, “CDE”} ) - as long as I call that method, I get the hang!

Bump? My bug report seems to just lay there - I would have thought a hanging browser might be of interest to someone?? Is anyone using setCategories() successfully? Which version of Charts/Vaadin are you using?

Any help would be much appreciated as I’m dead in the water.

Ok, I found the problem - and it isn’t, strictly speaking, a Vaadin bug. I guess I got confused by Vaadin’s way of thinking of x- and y-axes. I caused the problem by setting categories on the “value” axis (which in Vaadin’s world is always the y-axis, independent of the chart type (e.g. horizontal versus vertical bar charts).