Liferay 6.2 b2 & Version 6.8.12 - doesn't work

HI All,

I have posted question on liferay forum
https://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/27919349

But looks like I should ask it here.

I tried to create simple vaadin portlet, but it doesn’t work on liferay 6.2 b2.
Liferay 6.2.b2 has vaadin Version 6.8.12 built on 2013-06-19 by default.

1. Go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/lportal/files/
    Download
  • liferay-portal-tomcat-6.2.0-ce-b2
  • liferay-plugins-sdk-6.2.0-ce-b2
  • liferay-ide-eclipse-windows-x64-2.0.0
  1. Run eclipse and set sdk and tomcat in the Windows → Preferences

2. File → New → Liferay Project → Portlet → Vaadin → Finish → Hello Word example has created

3. Run tomcat

4. execute ant all for vaadin portlet

5. Go to portal and add new portlet on any page.

Expected: To see “Hello Vaadin!”
Actual: Nothing is displayed, portlet with empty body

No errors in the log files and console.

Is it issue of liferay 6.2.b2 or I missed something?

Thanks for any help!

====================
One Answer from Liferay forum

This is a known issue. Vaadin relies on a deprecated Liferay API that was removed in Liferay 6.2. I opened a bug on this awhile ago, and Vaadin is aware of the issue. It was my understanding that they had a fix in place for V7, but I don’t know if they were planning on backfilling on the 6.8 line.

==================

Questions

1. Is Liferay 6.2 b2 and Vaadin 7.1.3 compatible?
  2. Will vaadin 6.8 be adapted for liferay 6.2? when is it expected?

Thanks for any help!

Hey,

I had a similiar issue and these are the steps I went through to get a test vaadin portlet working in liferay 6.2.

1. Follow these steps to upgrade Vaadin 6 to Vaadin 7 in Liferay 6.2 ( https://vaadin.com/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Integrating%20Vaadin%207%20with%20Liferay ). I used a windows bat script to make this repeatable for me. See the attached “BuildPluginsAndVaadin.bat” .bat file.

2. I could not get the liferay vaadin control panel to work in 6.2, so I compiled the widgetsets manually using the attached .bat script file named “CompileGWTWidgetSets.bat”.
    e.g., “C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.7.0_21/bin/java.exe” -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xss8M -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=512M -classpath “” com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler -war “C:\liferay\Vaadin\widgetsets” -localWorkers 4 -logLevel INFO “com.vaadin.portal.gwt.PortalDefaultWidgetSet”

3. I updated my portal-ext.properties file to have the vaadin properties. Mine looks like this:
    jdbc.default.driverClassName=org.mariadb.jdbc.Driver
    jdbc.default.url=jdbc:mariadb://localhost/lportal62test?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF-8&useFastDateParsing=false
    jdbc.default.username=******
    jdbc.default.password=******
    vaadin.resources.path=/html
    vaadin.widgetset=com.vaadin.portal.gwt.PortalDefaultWidgetSet
    vaadin.theme=reindeer

4. I created a new test Vaadin project in Eclipse (kepler version) using the following steps:
    a. File->New->Other->Vaadin->Vaadin 7 Project
    b. Project Name: MyTestVaadinApp
    c. Target Runtime: Liferay v6.2
    d. Configuration: Vaadin 7, Java 6, Servlet 3.0
    e. Deployment configuration: Servlet (default)
    f. Vaadin version: 7.1.5
    g. Click Next
    h. Click Next
    i. check the Generate web.xml deployment descriptor
    j. Portlet Version: Portlet 2.0
    k. Click Finish

5. Open the generated “…/MyTestVaadinApp/WebContent/WEB-INF/liferay-portlet.xml” file and
    a. add the xml tag “false”.
    b. comment out the “true” tag.
    c. update the doctype to something like this: “”
    d. My file looks like this:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>

Mytestvaadinapp Application portlet
    false

false

6. Before I added the “false” xml tag, I kept receiving the “UIDL could not be read from server” error when I clicked the button in my portlet. See http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-40153 and http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-40142.

I hope this helps someone and saves them time as I lost a good bit of time trying to get it working.

David

Here are the .bat scripts mentioned above in the attached “MyVaadin7Liferay62batScripts.zip” file.
13197.zip (3.27 KB)

Forgot to mention after compiling the widgetsets, I would copy them from the folder I compiled them in to …\tomcat-7.0.40\webapps\ROOT\html\VAADIN\widgetsets

Hi David, Thanks a lot for your answer!

But I need to have vaadin6 version, because I’m using some addons which support only vaadin6.

Do you have any suggestions, how can I resolve this issue on vaadinn6?

Thank you.

portal-ext.properties should use

vaadin.widgetset=com.vaadin.DefaultWidgetSet

Hi David,
Can you please put the MyTestVaadinApp to here?

There’s a much easier way to upgrade the Vaadin 7 shared environment under Liferay 6.2:
http://www.liferay.com/web/26526/blog/-/blogs/upgrading-to-vaadin-7-in-liferay-6

Hi Alexey,

I have the same problem. Did you resolve your’s ?

(I have to use Liferay 6.2.x with Vaadin 6.8.15 not version 7)

Thanks

They did fix the 6.8 version of Vaadin, if you’re using 15 you should be fine.

Note that there are Vaadin issues with 100% or auto width for the primary outer container. You should use a specific width for your primary container.

Hi Dave,
I’m migrating Vaadin portlets to LF 6.2. After many problems I decided to build a simple portlet to test deployement.
After deploy I still have empty portlet. Here my code for portlet class :

[code]
@Override
public void init() {
Window mainWindow = new Window(“Vaadin Test Portlet”);

VerticalLayout vl = new VerticalLayout();
    vl.setHeight(600, Sizeable.UNITS_PIXELS);
    vl.setWidth(900, Sizeable.UNITS_PIXELS);

Label label = new Label("Hello Vaadin user");
    vl.addComponent(label);
    mainWindow.setContent(vl);

setMainWindow(mainWindow);
}

[/code]did I miss something ?

Did you recompile the portal widgetset after updating to 6.8.15?

I just copied the widgetset in ROOT\html\VAADIN\widgetsets because I’m not using shared mode but self-contained mode (I use vaadin jar from WAR)

I used a compiled widget and not compiled one but I have the same problem. I used IDE to compile widgetset.

Vaadin under liferay does not work like Vaadin for a servlet. I don’t even know that the standalone (self-contained) mode actually works under the 6.8 framework.

You need the old vaadin control panel, you need to update the shared vaadin environment per instructions on vaadin.com, and you have to follow the Vaadin 6 on Liferay way.

The reason of that, we are upgrading our LF installation to 6.2. We have old Vaadin6 portlets. It would be easy for us if we can continue running theses portlets in standalon mode with vaadin 6 and use Vaadin 7 in shared mode for new planned portlets.

Thank you for your help.