In-application logout

I’m currently in the process of migrating from Vaadin 6 to 7 with my application .

Everything seems to be going smoothly, but the logout/session handling has me stumped.

Basically my application has two states: logged in and not logged in.

If you are not logged in, there’s a button that pops up a login window (a Vaadin window, not a browser window).

Once logged in, there’s a logout button that should close the current running application and start a new one so that the user is shown the state when the user is not logged in.

I’ve got this working using the code from the book:
https://vaadin.com/book/vaadin7/-/page/application.lifecycle.html
Section 4.7.7. Closing a Session
(redirecting to “/”, the single URL on which my application runs)

However, each time I try to do anything after pressing the logout button, I get a “Communication problem”. As if the application was closed, but not restarted.

What’s going wrong?

Some details:

• using @PreserveOnRefresh
  • the logout action is directly triggered from a button within the main layout

BTW: the Vaadin 6 application is running at http://app.fctr.be if you want to take a look at specific details.

We managed to solve this by redirecting to “/?restartApplication”

Ideally, however, I would like to restart the application programmatically, because now, there’s a risk the user refreshes the changed URL and inadvertently restarts the application.

Any one now how I can do that?

I use the following to logout , But note I make use of a JSR-196 Authentication Module ( form based login ) so your experience may very.
When I logout I have to destroy ALL the UI’s for my current Session since they share an api object provided by my login module.
The code below worked very nicely with Push enabled, unfortunately I ran into an issue with glassfish+cdi-utils+push so any other browser tabs will not automatically go to the index.html (The tab where the user clicked logout though will behave correctly ) , the other browser tabs will cause a Session Timed out if the user click on them , and then they will be directed to the login page by the login module ) , when I have some time I’ll go dig into the Client side Vaadin code to handle the login module redirect correctly ( without the red session screen ), it should be quite easy to fix this.

public void logout() {
        // Logout will destroy our legacy Api, and to prevent reuse of a stale Api we destroy the Session,
        // and for that to work we 1st close any other UI's that is also created for this Session
        for (UI ui : UI.getCurrent().getSession().getUIs()) {
            if (ui != UI.getCurrent()) {
                ui.accessSynchronously(new Runnable() {
                    @Override
                    public void run() {
                        LOGGER.log(Level.INFO, "Closing UI {0}", UI.getCurrent());
                        UI.getCurrent().getPage().setLocation(UITools.getStartLocation()); // Go to the default page (index.html)
                        UI.getCurrent().close();
                    }
                });
            }
        }

LOGGER.log(Level.INFO, "Closing UI {0}", UI.getCurrent());
        UI.getCurrent().getPage().setLocation(UITools.getStartLocation()); // Go to the default page (index.html)

// Legacy application Api , provided by a custom login module, the one api is shared by the all the 
        // UI's of the same Session
        try {
            LOGGER.log(Level.WARNING, "Closing Api {0}", UI.getCurrent());
            api.logout();           
        } catch (ApiException ex) {
            LOGGER.log(Level.SEVERE, "Legacy api.logout failed", ex);
        }

// Now to destroy our Session we get a reference to it.
        final WrappedSession httpSession = getSession().getSession();

// Close the Current UI
        close();

// Close the Current VaadinSession
        try {
            getSession().close();
        } catch (Exception ex) {
            LOGGER.log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);
        }

// Destroy the Wrapped Session
        try {
            httpSession.invalidate();
        } catch (Exception ex) {
            LOGGER.log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);
        }
    }

The UITools …

public static String getStartLocation() {
        final Page page = Page.getCurrent();
        final StringBuilder sbuf = new StringBuilder();
        sbuf.append(getServerLocation(page));
        // ContextPath already has / infront
        sbuf.append(VaadinServlet.getCurrent().getServletContext().getContextPath());
        return sbuf.toString();
    }

public static String getServerLocation(final Page page) {
        final StringBuilder sbuf = new StringBuilder();
        sbuf.append(page.getLocation().getScheme());
        if (LOGGER.isLoggable(Level.FINER)) {
            LOGGER.log(Level.FINER, "Page getScheme {0}", page.getLocation().getScheme());
        }
        sbuf.append("://");
        sbuf.append(page.getLocation().getHost());
            LOGGER.log(Level.FINER, "Page getHost {0}", page.getLocation().getHost());
        }
        sbuf.append(":");
        sbuf.append(page.getLocation().getPort());
            LOGGER.log(Level.FINER, "Page getPort {0}", page.getLocation().getPort());
        }
        return sbuf.toString();
    }

@Peter: Can you explain and maybe provide the source for how you worked with “/restartApplication”?

On Logout, I am attempting to restart my Application (i,e) UI in my perspective (as I am using Vaadin 7)!!

Closing VaadinSession seems to be working fine but my application is not restarting! (ie) New VaadinSession not being created.

I am getting a “Session Expired” error when I am trying to ping the Server!