Error: LegacyApplication cannot be cast to com.vaadin.Application

I am trying to migrate a project from Vaadin 6.8 to Vaadin 7.12.
But my extended Legacyappliation class is always casted to com.vaadin.Application, sadly I don’t see the error being traced back to my own written classes, it just shows the classes of the lib and at some Point just “at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)” occurs.
Using “Open Type” from eclipse to show all classes available this (obsolete) class isn’t listed anywhere, I made a file search in the whole project and don’t find any occurence of it. I also refreshed the Ivy Dependencies.
In the project I can compile the widgetsets, but when trying to load a servlet always the class cast error occurs.

What I did:
In the properties of the project facets in eclipse I changed the version of Vaadin to 7 and removed the Vaadin 6.8 Jar.
Made the necessary changes to the web.xml concerning VaadinLegacyServlet. Adapted the code concerning LegacyApplication, LegacyWindow, etc. I already migrated a new Vaadin 6 project to 7 for testing purposes using this procedure, but for my project something is not working.

ERROR Output:

Servlet.service() for servlet [Extended Legacy Application Class]
threw exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: [Extended Legacy Application Class]
cannot be cast to com.vaadin.Application
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.AbstractApplicationServlet.handleServiceException(AbstractApplicationServlet.java:1010)
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.AbstractApplicationServlet.service(AbstractApplicationServlet.java:548)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:433)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:849)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:454)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Did you change your web.xml and Servlet accordingly?

Information

I read that thread already.
I just changed the servlet-class to
com.vaadin.server.LegacyVaadinServlet

and rest remains as before, i.e.

application [Extended Legacy Application Class]

Those changes were sufficient for migrating a new Vaadin 6 project to 7 for testing purposes.