How to write/read file inside WebContent

Hello,
Does anyone know how to write/read file inside WebContent folder? (application folder)
I want to put a file there (text or xml), and then the application will read that file.
I tried System.getProperty(“user.dir”) inside Eclipse, and it returns my home folder.

Faizal

Hello,

As an opening statement, I would point out that this is not a Vaadin specific question, but a general java Web/J2EE question.

You basically have two fundamental choices : if you place the file in WEB-INF\classes or WEB-INF\lib, the file is not visible to the outside world. If you place the file anywhere else inside the web application directory (WebContent) but outside of the WebContent\WEB-INF, the file could be accessible to the end user.

WebContent
   super-secret.properties
   WEB-INF
       classes
           hidden.properties

If the web application were deployed to /example, and the user accessed http://theserver/example/super-secret.properties - the file would be downloaded to the end user[1]
. The J2EE spec mandates, I believe, that files in the WEB-INF folder (and below) are not accessible to the front end.

Personally, I would recommend that the file be placed on the classpath. That way, you can use ClassLoader.html#getResourceAsStream to open an input stream. That sounds very complicated, but in fact it’s not (no error checking included):

ClassLoader classLoader = Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader();
    InputStream stream = classLoader.getResourceAsStream("hidden.properties");

if (stream == null) {
      // File not nound
    } else {
      Properties p = new Properties();
      p.load(stream);
    }

How do you get the file into the classpath? Simply add it to the root of your source directory. The Eclipse compiler will (almost certainly - Eclipse people tell me if I’m wrong) copy the .properties file to the root of the WebContent\WEB-INF\classes directory, and thus it is simply on the class path.

There are ways to access files in the WebContent directory, but they require a bit more setting up - you need access to the ServletContext, and then you can use ServletContext#getResourceAsStream e.g.

ServletContext context = ... // This is the tricky bit, depends on where you are calling from
 InputStream stream = context.getResourceAsStream("/super-secret.properties")
  if (stream == null) {
      // File not nound
    } else {
      Properties p = new Properties();
      p.load(stream);
    }

Sorry this is so long - but it’s not as simple a question as you might imagine.

In short - I recommend using the classpath/classloader method. It’s more secure, and it’ll also work in non web environments.

Cheers,

Charles

[1]
This may not happen in a Vaadin application, actually, because of how the default servlet mapping is. The fundamental principle is right, though.

Hello show me example for save xml file, which is read from classloader inputstream. I need save to this file via same access

Don’t write to your webcontent folder. What if you upgrade your .war?

Store your stuff somewhere else on the filesystem or use a database or something.