From 6.8.5 to 7.1.0 - Maven Idiot

Hi there. I’m right now trying to migrate from vaadin 6.8.5 to 7.1.0 with maven but unfortunately I’m appearently way too inexperienced with maven.

I tried to delete the old dependency from the pom and replacing it with the updated version number:

<dependency>
    	<groupId>com.vaadin</groupId>
    	<artifactId>vaadin</artifactId>
    	<version>7.1.0</version>
    </dependency>

But after saving my eclipse tells me there is no such artifact.
I already have the latest vaadin plugin for eclipse and have also already made a vaadin 7 test project which works fine.

Can someone give me a step by step guide because unfortunately all guides I found online assume you either use Ivy or you know exactly how maven works. Neither can I switch to Ivy (company uses maven) nor am I fluent in the maven ways.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There is no single Vaadin jar anymore. Nowadays the import goes like this:

<properties>
		<vaadin.version>7.1.0</vaadin.version>
	</properties>

<dependencies>
		<dependency>
			<artifactId>vaadin-server</artifactId>
			<version>${vaadin.version}</version>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<artifactId>vaadin-themes</artifactId>
			<version>${vaadin.version}</version>
		</dependency>
	</dependencies>

Other good artifactIds could be vaadin-client-compiled, vaadin-client, vaadin-client-compiler, vaadin-cdi… depends on your project’s needs.

The way i always found it very easy to migrate was doing this:

1. Create a new Vaadin 7.1.0 Maven project
  2. Replace your pom.xml (or just the content) with the newly created one. (Remember to change the project related tags)
  3. Let maven do it’s job :slight_smile:

The problem with your attempt is that there is not only one vaadin.jar
Vaadin 7 is split into several different jars like vaadin-server, vaadin-client, …
That’s why you should look into a fresh pom to see what you have to change.

Aaaaah… I think I get it now. Thanks a bunch Anna and Marius :slight_smile:

If migrating from Vaadin 6 to Vaadin 7, also remember to remove any explicit dependencies to GWT artifacts and change the GWT plugin to Vaadin plug-in, which now supports the same configuration etc. and replaces the GWT plugin.