Client - Server

Is there a full and simple client-server example which I can use to learn the comunication between them?
I can’t even understand how to execute them on Eclipse.

Please help me!

What do you mean with client-server? The reason I ask is that even the simplest sample of a Vaadin application is in fact a client-server application ( The client being the Browser , the server being the Java Servlet container/ Application server , like Tomcat,Glassfish,Jboss,WebShere,Jetty etc… ).

Dont use Eclipse , so I dont have specifics on how to configure Eclipse, But you do need some Servlet container as mentioned above ( not sure if Eclipse come with a builtin container like Jetty… ).

Note: some of the maven projects have target that will execute the project using Jetty, this might be a good alternative to get going
https://vaadin.com/book/-/page/getting-started.maven.html

Well, I’m starting to use Vaadin so, before of all, I’m trying to understand what are the differences between server-side applications and client-server applications like widgets+server-side.
I need to create a managerial software for a company and Vaadin is the chose framework. I think it has all I need, in fact, I just need to create an interface to manage a database. I think it could be OK even a server-side Vaadin project.
When I wrote this thread, I was trying to create a widget with Eclipse but I wasn’t able to create the widget, only hours after I understood that first I need to create a normal Vaadin project and then I have to create the widget (on the same project).
Am I right? It’s quite uncomfortable for a newbie like me and I was really becoming crazy!
Now I’m creating a server-side project and I’m learning how to use result sets in my interface.
Is it possible to define an id for the components for arrange them with css? Like on html?

(look around on the forum… I posted some other questions and I wait answers!!)

Thanks

you can add css style classes with component.addStyleName().

OK so in each component I have to add the css style I want. I hope it’s easy to include a css file. And what about layouts? How can I integrate them with the css?

You just have to create your own theme containing a style.css file
Vaadin-Book about integrating a custom theme

What do you mean by “integrating a layout with css”? Layout containers, like VerticalLayout, HorizontalLayout, GridLayout, CustomLayout, … are basically just components so if you want to add a style to a layout you can add it like this:

VerticalLayout layout = new VerticalLayout();
layout.addStyleName("stylename");

It seams like u should first have a short look at the book of vaadin part. This explains a lot.

I’m reading the book and trying by myself :wink:
thanks a lot to all

In your case, you may not have to use special CSS or new Widgets! Just try out some samples from the book using built-in components of Vaadin and understand the full concept. You need to use an application server (like Tomcat, Jetty etc. - plain Servlet containers) and that is your server (of course, you may have a database behind it). Yes, Eclipse can be used to test your application because your can define a Tomcat server within Eclipse and run your application in that server.