Vaadin 7.1 Server Push

Hey,
I wanted to implement some functionality using server push but have some problems with it.
As soon as I set the @Push annotation (automatic or manual), my application is not working as expected anymore. It seems like it is waiting for responses which arrive very late or never. When I do some interaction like clicking a button, nothing happens until I do a refresh. Is this the normal behaviour, am I missing something?

So I ask myself the question, what happens when I activate the @Push annotation with a single-threaded UI? Should the application work as before? If not, what do I need to change in order to make the application work again, so that I have a working state before I implement the actual push logic.

Im using version 7.1-SNAPSHOT (but tried beta1 too) with Tomcat 7.

Thanks, keep up the good work!

Hello,

Yes, enabling push should not affect the visible behaviour of the program unless the UI is updated in a background thread. Could you post a simple test case (optimally a single UI subclass) exhibiting the problem?

Hi,

I tried a smaller application based on the charts examples and the push mechanism seems to work.
However, with my real application I still don’t have a clue, why it is not working as soon as I activate push. The debug log says “Establishing push connection” but never prints “Push connection established using XX”. In the info tab of the debug window it says “Communication methd: Push (null)”. So I think the Push Connection is stuck in the CONNECT_PENDING state.

Side note: The
Push sampler demo
is not working for me, when I set it to Automatic push (websockets) a session expired message is displayed. I tried Chrome and Firefox.

What’s the exact version of your Tomcat? Some 7.0.2x (and maybe .3x) versions support Websockets only partially and might cause strange issues. 7.0.40+ should work fine. Is there anything interesting in the server log?

If you check your browser’s dev tools network view, there should be a GET /…/PUSH request (with a Connection: upgrade header - that’s the Websocket handshake request. What’s happening to it? Is it stalling or does it get a response? What status code does the response have?

This is because of

Thanks! I was running on Tomcat 7.0.32 and that seems to have caused the problem. Now with 7.0.41 I can use the application as before (on first sight)