Extend standard chameleon with customization from online editor

I customized the cameleon theme using this editor: http://demo.vaadin.com/chameleon-editor
Then I downloaded the jar and saw that it only contains a css file with very few rules, but importing the original chameleon one. However, when I put this jar into /WEB-INF/lib and add to my Eclipse project, I’m able to use it by specifying

@theme("my-chameleon")

The custom colors seem to work somehow, but everything else is messed up, i.e. font is sans-serif and all icons are gone. On the console, I see

Information: Requested resource 
[/VAADIN/themes/reddish-chameleon/favicon.ico] not found from filesystem or through class loader.
Add widgetset and/or theme JAR to your classpath or add files to WebContent/VAADIN folder.

How can I keep the original chameleon theme and just extend it?

Cheers,
Cedric

Hello Cedric,

I have a similar problem to integrate the my-chameleon theme.

Would be nice to get a solution.

I unpacked the original chameleon theme from the JAR to VAADDIN-themes folder and openend a new my-chameleon folder and put the styles.css into it.

Made many trials but it doesn´t work.

Web page looks deranged.

I don´t know how to integrate it.

The Vaadin 7 book doesn´t give enough information.

Hope to get response from vaadin team.

Regards Alex.
12986.jpg

Hi guys,

The chameleon theme color editor isn’t updated yet to produce Vaadin 7 compatible selectors.

There are two options to make it work: either convert the editor output to be Sass compatible (the new Vaadin 7 way), or convert the editor output to use legacy-styles.css (deprecated backwards compatibility way).

Option #1

• Extract the the styles.css from the JAR which you download from the editor
  • Place it into your VAADIN/themes/my-chameleon folder and rename it to e.g. colors.scss
  • Modify the file like so:
    • Remove the first line (@import…)
    • Add
      @mixin colors {
      to the beginning of the file
    • Close the mixin with a curly brace in the end of the file[code]
      @mixin colors {

}

[/code] - Find & replace
.v-app
to
&.v-app
(prepend with an ampersand)

• Create a file named styles.scss, and add the following content[code]
    @import “…/chameleon/chameleon”;
    @import “colors”;

.my-chameleon {
@include chameleon;
@include colors;
}

[/code]

Option #2

• Extract the the styles.css from the JAR which you download from the editor
  • Place it into your VAADIN/themes/my-chameleon folder
  • Modify the first line from
    @import “…/chameleon/styles.css”;
    to
    @import “…/chameleon/legacy-styles.css”;

I tested both options, and they should work with 7.1 nightly at least. I think there might be some issues with theme names that include a dash “-”, but that’s fixed in 7.1 at least. So be sure to try out with a theme name without a dash as a last option.

Hello Jouni,

many, many thanks for your help!

I tried your solution #1 and it seems to work.
I removed the @optional-generated-shadow clause because it caused a message.

I´m not sure what the change from .v-app to &.v-app means but it works.

Finally i have three files:
colors.scss (modified as described)
mychameleon.scss (the new theme autogenerated refering to chameleon)
styles.scss (modified as described)

Sorry, I´m a Vaadin beginner and only know general things about css. So many questions came up after many, many trials and I didn´t wanted to give it up at this point.

Yesterday I tried following:

style.scss file:

@import "mytheme.scss";

.mytheme {
  @include mytheme;
}

mytheme.scss file:

@import "../chameleon/chameleon.scss";
@mixin mytheme {

@include chameleon;

- here all the stuff from the style.css content (downloaded from jar  from my-chameleon) from [u]
.v-app {
[/u]  to  [u]
 } 
[/u]at eof -

}

I omitted the hyphen in the file name as a precaution and removed the @optional-generated-shadow clause.

This example seems to work in my little test application. Therefore it is only a test application I don´t know if there are any pitfalls.

The installation is Vaadin 7.0.5 on an eclipse juno (windows 7).

Unfortunately the integrated browser is not reliable - it shows different results as a real browser although it startet new after every compiling process - so the tests took longer than necessary…

I will try your suggestion #2 also.

Best Regards

HI,
I m using vaadin 7.1.10…When i m trying 1st option i m getting below error’s…I have done same as u mentioned…

java.lang.Exception: Mixin Definition: colors not found

com.vaadin.sass.internal.parser.SCSSParseException: Error when parsing file C:\Users\saipraneeth\Desktop\Vaadin.metadata.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.server.core\tmp0\wtpwebapps\Mobile_mail1\VAADIN\themes\mytheme\colors.scss
Encountered “” at line 340, column 9.
Was expecting one of:

“}” …
“+” …
“>” …
“~” …
“[” …
“*” …
“&” …
“.” …
“:” …

@include” …
@debug” …
@warn” …
@each” …
@if” …
@extend” …
@content” …

@media” …
@page” …
@font-face” …
<KEY_FRAME_SYM> …

I m new to vaadin …plz help me…

Thanks

Hi,

Seems like there’s an error in the Sass compiler when it tries to read the colors.scss file.

Try adding a line break to the end of the color.scss file, see if that helps.

Hi

I was having the same mixin exception as above when using the Chameleon “blue” theme although everything worked fine for the “black” one. Eventually I tracked it down to these lines :

.v-table-scrollposition {
    @optional-generated-shadow@
    }

around line 89 of the generated styles.scss, when I replaced them with the equivalent code from the “dark” theme:

.v-table-scrollposition {
    text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgb(29,29,29)
    }

Everything worked.
Hope this helps!

13466.docx (265 KB)
13467.xml (5.57 KB)
13468.java (1.68 KB)
13469.java (7.47 KB)

Hello,

I am newbie in Vaadin and I am doing my first app, I wanted to change theme and I followed some tips here.

The point when I was using the theme by default it was like capt1 (see attached) but now I just downloaded my-chameleon theme and tried to set it up and it takes colours and so on but it is a bit messed up “even after trying both Options”, you can see it in capt2 (attached).

Is there a way to fix that?

Thank you in advance for your time and responses.

Gerard

15927.png
15928.png