Vaadin 7 is a good solution ?

Hello
My team has to build a GIS web app. We will use an OpenLayers or Geomajas for maps, EJB for business logic and SPRING MVC and Security. Our app will be used by ~ 1000-1500 user at the same time. In my application I will need some pretty widgets most of them from add-ons. I need high response performance. I would like to use as many as possible client side widgets. Is there any example to use Vaadin with them ? Are there any tips how to develop so big application ? I would be grateful for all answers.
Thanks

Hi,

Yes. But I’m of course bit biased as I work for Vaadin :grin:

V7 compatible version of open layers wrapper is not yet published, but you can easily build a local snapshot version from
its branch
if you wish to prototype with it. Currently roughly about 40% of V6 version features features work.

Geomajas slippy map part might actually be perfect match for Vaadin apps as it is built with GWT. I haven’t heard though that anybody has built a Vaadin add-on around it. It is also good to notice their AGPL license. Don’t know about their fees for commercial software.

You might also want to check out
Leaflet integration for Vaadin
that I started a while ago. It has less features, but smoother end user experience. Especially on touch devices.

Although V7 uses more CPU than V6 I still wouldn’t be afraid of its resource usage. It will most likely be your backend and server memory where there will be largest bottlenecks. Both of those can most likely be avoided with proper application and hosting architecture - whether you would be using Vaadin or Geomajas.

Pro tip: Invest 50% of the money you save in development costs by choosing Vaadin to your servers. Then you can start making business by selling the excess computing power to NASA :grin:

For big projects with lots of dependencies and developers I suggest to use maven built multi module project. Throwing in new developers and dependencies is this way much easier. Also use a separate module for creating “widgetset” like in
this example
. This way most of your developers can completely ignore client side stuff (including its lengthy GWT compilation). And you will also have a ready place for possible project specific custom client side components and tests for them in case .

cheers,
matti

Hi
We are also considering Geomajas. Has any progress been made on this with Geomajas?