Running Vaadin application from STS

Hi all,

I’m a newbie that currently planning to use Vaadin as the view framework for my project. I’m using Vaadin with Spring Framework, and Hibernate. Here is my question, when i’m running Vaadin from STS using Tomcat 6.0 server adapter, and i set the server location to be using the Tomcat Installation in my PC, the application won’t running in Firefox, and i got the error info like this below :

Requested resource [VAADIN/widgetsets/com.vaadin.demo.colorpicker.gwt.ColorPickerWidgetSet/com.vaadin.demo.colorpicker.gwt.ColorPickerWidgetSet.nocache.js]
not found from filesystem or through class loader. Add widgetset and/or theme JAR to your classpath or add files to WebContent/VAADIN folder

But, when i set the server location to be using the workspace metadata (did not modify Tomcat installation), the appilcation running fine. Is this some bug from Vaadin Widgetset Compiler that integrated with Eclipse? Hope someone willing to explain about it since this is my first time using RIA framework, and i choose Vaadin because it’s similar to GWT but more user-friendly. (I think it is the best framework among RIA framework).

Did you compile the widgetset yourself (and how - Ant script or the Vaadin Eclipse plugin)?

What do you mean by setting the server location using workspace metadata, and what was the other approach. Are you using the same Tomcat installation instance, but different configuration files? Are you using the Eclipse Tomcat server adapter in both cases or not?

If the widgetset was correctly compiled and the application works with some configuration, I believe this is a servlet deployment issue, and should not be Vaadin specific. The Eclipse Tomcat server adapter plugin sometimes does not deploy everything quite as it should, cleaning the Tomcat working directories might help. This might also apply to the “SpringSource tc Server” that is bundled with recent STS versions, not sure about that. You could also try to copy the Vaadin demo WAR (or your WAR) to the tomcat deployment directory just to check that works.

I guess your application is a small test application (maybe directly from the Vaadin demo package) if it is set up to use the demo ColorPicketWidgetSet.