Resolving Touchkit dependencies?

I’m not sure if this is the right place to report this but I’ll do it anyway. Someone can point me to a more appropriate place to report it if necessary… I have a Vaadin 7 RC1 application and I’m using IVY for dependency management. I am experiencing the following when I bring Touchkit into my application:

TRIED: (recommended by the Book of Vaadin 7)

RESULT:
unresolved dependency: com.vaadin.addon#vaadin-touchkit-agpl;3.0.0-LATEST: not found

TRIED: (From the Vaadin Directory)

RESULT:
unresolved dependency: com.vaadin.addon#vaadin-touchkit-agpl;3.0.0-alpha3: java.text.ParseException: inconsistent module descriptor file found in ‘http://maven.vaadin.com/vaadin-addons/com/vaadin/addon/vaadin-touchkit-agpl/3.0.0-alpha3/vaadin-touchkit-agpl-3.0.0-alpha3.pom’: bad revision: expected=‘3.0.0-alpha3’ found=‘3.0.0-SNAPSHOT’;

TRIED: (From the error on the previous attempt)

RESULT:
unresolved dependency: com.vaadin.addon#vaadin-touchkit-agpl;3.0.0-SNAPSHOT: not found

Has something changed recently to cause this problem or am I doing something wrong? I would have expected LATEST or 3.0.0-alpha3 to work…

Just a quick update…

I’ve just discovered that if I create a Vaadin 7.0.0.rc1 project in eclipse using maven I can successfully retrieve Touchkit 3.0.0-alpha3 but if I create the same project using the latest update of the Vaadin experimental plugin Ivy fails to retrieve Touchkit 3.0.0-alpha3, however I am able to retrieve 3.0.0-alpha2.

How can I resolve this?

Hi,

I don’t (at least voluntary) use IVY, ANT or our Eclipse plugin myself, but if the the latest build works with maven I’d blame that combo. I have sometimes resolved an IVY issue by manually cleaning some library folders cached by it.

I hope some of our fellows working with our IDE tools could help you.

cheers,
matti

It is not “3.0.0-LATEST” but just “LATEST” as far as I know.

When using snapshots with Ivy, you need to add the dependency attribute changing="true"

Sometimes IvyDE does not update its in-memory caches correctly. Cleaning up the Ivy repository and/or restarting Eclipse might help in those cases.

This is the latest error when I try to retrieve Touchkit 3.0.0-alpha3 using Ivy from the plugin. I’m going to enter this as a bug with the plugin because it works fine with maven. I suspect it may be in the repository but whatever it is, it needs to be fixed. This used to work and now it doesn’t.

Some projects fail to be resolved
Impossible to resolve dependencies of com.example#v7proj;working@mymachine
unresolved dependency: com.vaadin.addon#vaadin-touchkit-agpl;3.0.0-alpha3: java.text.ParseException: inconsistent module descriptor file found in 'http://maven.vaadin.com/vaadin-addons/com/vaadin/addon/vaadin-touchkit-agpl/3.0.0-alpha3/vaadin-touchkit-agpl-3.0.0-alpha3.pom': bad revision: expected='3.0.0-alpha3' found='3.0.0-SNAPSHOT'; 

Hi,

Based on you error message our hacky habit of passing version as property in pom causes some issues for IVY. Maven can deal with it just fine (probably reads the pom.properties or just trusts the default directory structure). Our projects have started to use this convention at some point to get our “Custom Builds” service working on top of TeamCity.

Although it “works” this is clearly a wrong way to do things. I’ll try to set up a different method (mvn versions:set …) for next Vaadin Charts build. If it works, I’ll make next TouchKit builds to use this method as well.

cheers,
matti

Hi Matti,

I don’t know if this pertinent information but if I were to try to retrieve 3.0.0-alpha2 it works fine.

If the suspect is the touchkit build, was there a change introduced in the pom between alpha2 and alpha3 that might have caused the problem?

Gary

Hi,

For some releases I have manually set the property and it appears alpha2 was built that way. I just cut a new version, alpha4, with some build changes (using mvn versions:set instead of properties to set versions in our CI system) and I hope IVE resolver will now handle the pom properly.

Let me know how it works. We’ll get back to this early next week if it still don’t work fine.

cheers,
matti

Hi Matti,

Your change worked. Alpha4 was retrieved successfully. Thanks.

Gary