Vaadin Visual Editor not opening properly

Hey guys

Just a quick question:

I just installed the latest update of Vaadin 7 in eclipse. When I try to create a new composite in my vaadin project the Visual Editor doesn’t open. I’ve tried Open With >> Vaadin Editor. I’ve attached a screenshot to display my problem. The screenshot was taken after I clicked Open With >> Vaadin Editor.

Link to google docs image

I have the following eclipse version:

Any help would be nice

Note: I’m currently working on uploading the screenshot, but I have a link for you to my google docs.

Open the Error Log view (Window → Show View → Error Log) and try again.
You might get a stack trace or other information there, that would help get some idea on where the problem might be.

Thank you for the help. :grin: I’ll try it sometime, but I’ve realised that its actually very easy to just code everything.

I have the same issue. What can I do to fix it ? I didn’t do anything special as far as I know, I did uninstall and installed again the plugin, same problem.

Exception Stack Trace:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:3095)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$22(WorkbenchPage.java:3003)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$8.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2985)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2981)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2940)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu.openEditor(OpenWithMenu.java:338)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu$2.handleEvent(OpenWithMenu.java:180)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1276)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3554)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3179)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1029)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:923)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:86)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:588)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:543)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1414)

Session Data:

eclipse.buildId=M20120914-1800
java.version=1.7.0_09
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product

This trace seems to be from Eclipse start-up when it tries to re-open previously open editors (nothing from com.vaadin anywhere in the stack trace), but I suppose you are seeing something similar also when trying to create a visually editable component or when opening one using Open With… → Vaadin Editor.

I haven’t seen problems using Juno on Linux x86_64, but I have mostly been testing with Java 6.
Could you check if this might be related to the Java version, and whether you get a different stack trace when trying to create the component or explicitly open the view?

Also, do you have a suitable version of XULRunner installed? Does the plug-in complain about it?

Then please
report the issue
with any relevant details.

The stacktrace appears in the error log of eclipse right after I open a vaadin composite, I specifically open it with the vaadin editor (it might not be from the vaadin plugin, but that is what appears). And the tab and UI appears the same as the original attachment from Johan Carinus.

How do I know what xulrunner should I have ?
(In windows I always has a warning message about xulrunner but the visual editor worked regardles of that )

I have eclipse juno x64 in linux and I also have the folowing plugins: Jrebel, svn and git from eclipse, maven from sonatype.
I don’t remember when the visual editor stopped working but I will try to reproduce it and I will let you know.
The editor is a must for me. After +50 views, I still don’t like to code by hand UI layouting of components.

Here’s the stacktrace on my system. The visual indications are the same as in the screenshot (1st message). I was trying to open the ‘PizzaForm.java’ file, which is auto-generated by Spring Roo’s Vaadin plugin. This was while running the tutorial at https://vaadin.com/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Spring+Roo+Plugin%3Bjsessionid=FB4E941241793910B4F727C812685E2F?_36_version=1.1

No errors were thrown prior to this. This error only occurred when I tried opening the form using Vaadin editor.

The roo script used to generate the source code up to the point of error is attached herewith.

eclipse.buildId=3.2.0.201301251450-M2-e42
java.version=1.7.0_11
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product org.springsource.sts.ide
Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -product org.springsource.sts.ide

Error
Sun Feb 03 07:32:30 IST 2013
Unhandled event loop exception

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:3063)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$22(WorkbenchPage.java:2969)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$8.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2951)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2947)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2911)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3562)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3186)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1053)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:942)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:86)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
12769.txt (1.28 KB)

I am having same issue. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Eclipse error log:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2013-05-31 21:26:27.888
!MESSAGE Unable to create class ‘org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityEditor’ from bundle ‘663’
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [Unknown Mozilla path (MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME not set)]

at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:63)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:861)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:841)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.inject(InjectorImpl.java:113)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(InjectorImpl.java:321)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.make(InjectorImpl.java:242)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.make(ContextInjectionFactory.java:161)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.createFromBundle(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:102)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.doCreate(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:71)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.create(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:53)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.ContributedPartRenderer.createWidget(ContributedPartRenderer.java:141)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.createWidget(PartRenderingEngine.java:894)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.safeCreateGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:629)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.safeCreateGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:731)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.access$2(PartRenderingEngine.java:702)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$7.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:696)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.createGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:681)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.StackRenderer.showTab(StackRenderer.java:1115)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.LazyStackRenderer$1.handleEvent(LazyStackRenderer.java:67)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.services.internal.events.UIEventHandler$1.run(UIEventHandler.java:41)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.syncExec(Synchronizer.java:180)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UISynchronizer.syncExec(UISynchronizer.java:150)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.syncExec(Display.java:4299)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application$1.syncExec(E4Application.java:187)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.services.internal.events.UIEventHandler.handleEvent(UIEventHandler.java:38)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventHandlerWrapper.handleEvent(EventHandlerWrapper.java:197)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventHandlerTracker.dispatchEvent(EventHandlerTracker.java:197)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventHandlerTracker.dispatchEvent(EventHandlerTracker.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.ListenerQueue.dispatchEventSynchronous(ListenerQueue.java:148)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventAdminImpl.dispatchEvent(EventAdminImpl.java:135)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventAdminImpl.sendEvent(EventAdminImpl.java:78)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventComponent.sendEvent(EventComponent.java:39)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.services.internal.events.EventBroker.send(EventBroker.java:80)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.UIEventPublisher.notifyChanged(UIEventPublisher.java:58)
at org.eclipse.emf.common.notify.impl.BasicNotifierImpl.eNotify(BasicNotifierImpl.java:374)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.model.application.ui.impl.ElementContainerImpl.setSelectedElement(ElementContainerImpl.java:171)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ModelServiceImpl.showElementInWindow(ModelServiceImpl.java:422)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ModelServiceImpl.bringToTop(ModelServiceImpl.java:389)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.PartServiceImpl.delegateBringToTop(PartServiceImpl.java:606)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.PartServiceImpl.bringToTop(PartServiceImpl.java:332)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.PartServiceImpl.showPart(PartServiceImpl.java:1029)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:3047)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1053)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:942)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)

Caused by: org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [Unknown Mozilla path (MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME not set)]

at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4387)
at org.eclipse.swt.browser.Mozilla.initMozilla(Mozilla.java:1936)
at org.eclipse.swt.browser.Mozilla.create(Mozilla.java:699)
at org.eclipse.swt.browser.Browser.<init>(Browser.java:99)
at com.vaadin.visualdesigner.eclipse.editors.VaadinEditor.createBrowser(VaadinEditor.java:242)
at com.vaadin.visualdesigner.eclipse.editors.VaadinEditor.createVisualEditorPage(VaadinEditor.java:208)
at com.vaadin.visualdesigner.eclipse.editors.VaadinEditor.createPages(VaadinEditor.java:141)
at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.createPartControl(MultiPageEditorPart.java:358)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityPart.createPartControl(CompatibilityPart.java:138)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityEditor.createPartControl(CompatibilityEditor.java:96)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityPart.create(CompatibilityPart.java:313)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:56)
... 76 more

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2013-05-31 21:26:27.925
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:3063)

Are you running Eclipse on Linux?

You could try to follow
these instructions
(set MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME and prepend it to LD_LIBRARY_PATH) and see if it helps.

Same problem here: Eclipse 4.3 Kepler, installed Vaadin plugin 2.2 yesterday for the first time,
no error in log
, Windows 7 64bit

help pl0x! :slight_smile:

Isn’t this weird? (See the screenshot please.)
15974.png

The screenshot looks to me like the Vaadin plug-in hasn’t been installed correctly.

Do other parts of the plug-in show up (new project wizards, widgetset compilation button in the toolbar, …)? You can also check under Help → About Eclipse that the plug-in is installed.

Hello & thanks :slight_smile:

The issue indeed wasn’t in Vaadin, it was the XUL thing again.
Not getting any error messages made me “100% sure” I was facing a different issue.

Anyways, I have added the line to eclipse.ini, as you adviced elsewhere, all seems to be okay now.
Thanks Henri :slight_smile:

Regards
Jarda Z.

you could have posted that eclipse.ini line here too … I am having the same issue

I’m sorry, I got it from another thread here…

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=C:\

The path does not matter, it just needs to exist I assume.