Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

Jetwick switched from vaadin to wicket

Gordon Augat
1 decade ago Aug 22, 2010 10:38pm
Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago Aug 23, 2010 7:55am
Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago Aug 23, 2010 9:00am

Cut-n-paste of a discussion from Peters blog post.

Joonas 23 August, 2010 at 07:57:
Peter – it would be really interesting to learn more about the layout performance problem you had with Vaadin. There are couple of threads about in on Vaadin forums – would you care to comment on them.

karussell 23 August, 2010 at 08:30:
Joonas, the problems were discussed at

http://vaadin.com/forum/-/message_boards/message/168242

After playing with layouts it seems that less usage of complicated layouts could indeed reduce (a lot) those performance problems.

But then a beta tester that uses a relative old mac book and accessed the following site with safari:

http://vaadin.com/directory/

He reported that the load nearly always took more than 5 seconds (of course, he also had problems with jetwick).
Do not understand me wrong: I really like Vaadin and my browser (FF on linux or win) renders this site quite fast, but I wanted to make sure that all visitors have a nearly equal experience visiting jetwick and so I had favour wicket over vaadin.

I can give you more information if you need them.

Joonas 23 August, 2010 at 08:57:
Got a (not so) funny thought: The only page on vaadin.com that has a bit of flash on it happens to be Directory (there is a banner advertising Vaadin add-on competition on the side). Could it be that it has been the reason for suboptimal (5 sec) startup-time?

It would be great to be able to validate the performance concern in order to fix any problems if they exist. Do you know it the same user had any problems with demos?

Jetwick layout seems simple – there should be no problem rendering that without any delays. Especially if you use CssLayout. Even on an old computer. Even on IE6.

In any case – if you have any ideas on how we could reproduce the performance problem, please share. Maybe we should continue the discussion on Vaadin forum as this is a bit outside the scope of this blog post…

Peter K
1 decade ago Aug 23, 2010 6:11pm
Peter K
1 decade ago Aug 23, 2010 6:17pm
Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago Aug 24, 2010 7:08am