Touchkit widgets on normal vaadin application

Hi,

I was wondering if it’s possible to use touchkit widgets as part of “normal” vaadin application?

br,
Samuli

Hi,

Sure - in theory. Some components (like new html5 form fields and geolocation stuff) in TouchKit are indeed very generic and would aid many apps targeted for desktop only. One issue you might face is that touchkit limits permutations to webkit only, but you can override that back. Even then some styles may use webkit specific css stuff and some component definitely will not (yet) work with any IE version.

cheers,
matti

Thanks for the reply.

I’m thinking of using TouchComboBox as a replacement for vaadin ComboBox as the later is not that user friendly with iPad for example. But I also noticed that the TouchComboBox is only in touchkit trunk and that it requires vaadin 7. We are currently using Vaadin 6.7.9 so it is(?) required to bump the vaadin version as well and that might not be trivial. But if this scenario sounds doable I could give it a shot.

Cheers,

Samuli

The yet to be released TouchKitComboBox is developed for V7 branch indeed. The GWT side widget should be easily reusable for V6 component as well.

In case there is a lots of interest for back porting that to V6 we can consider doing that here in Vaadin Ltd and add it in a TouchKit maintenance release. Create a ticket to dev.vaadin.com and use feature voting to bump that up.

cheers,
matti