Liferay portlet problem

Hi,

I’m making experiments how to embed portlets made with Toolkit into Liferay portal server. I used information from this document
http://dev.itmill.com/wiki/Articles/PortalTools
to create a simple hello world portlet.

I’m able to deploy the portlet to the server but when I visit the page including the portlet, instead of the simple user interface I get error message beginning with “Client faced an unknown component type. Unrendered UIDL:”

When portlet is loaded portlet status seems to be OK (displayed in notification box) “Portlet status, mode view, state normal”.

I’m using Liferay 5.2.1, Tomcat 6.0.18 and Toolkit 5.3.0 rc 10 - perhaps these components are too new to be compatible? Any ideas what is wrong here?

//Harri

I’m kicking with Tomcat 6.0.18 and JBoss 5.0.0.GA using various Toolkit apps in them, I’d not expect compatibility issues with your servlet container at least…

Try double checking your web.xml where you specify your widgetset, it might have something to do with that. Your web browser (client) received an command that it cannot understand, can’t imagine why.

Did you try this simple application with plain Tomcat?

Which Toolkit version you are using?

Hi,

I tried my “hello world” portlet with toolkit version 5.2.15 and this time I was able to see the correct result in Liferay. Has anybody been able to successfully run Liferay portlets with 5.3. toolkit version? Are there some changes that should be done in the portlet application code?

//Harri

This means the client-side of IT Mill Toolkit does not recognize one (or more) of the components that the server-side is sending.
Could you submit a little more of the error message? The first few lines will tell exactly which component caused the problem.

In practice I’m guessing the reason is one of the following:

1. Client and server versions out of sync; try emptying the browser cache and restarting everything
  2. Your portlet is not using the right widgetset.

Actually I think 2. is more likely - could you tell us which application you’re trying to run? For that application, does portlet.xml say which widgetset it should use?

(I’ll go ahead and run sanity checks here as well, to verify that the packaging is not faulty…)

Best Regards,
Marc

Hi Marc,

you are right. I reconstructed the problematic situation and it seems that my Toolkit runtime was 5.3 but the widgetset was from 5.2.

I can now continue with the portlet experiments, thanks for pointing me to the right direction to solve the problem.

//Harri

Hi,
I have the same trouble with calendarfield and googlemap from http://dev.vaadin.com/svn/versions/6.1/src/com/vaadin/demo/reservation example.

Is there any way how to find why this occurs?

With the best regards.
Milan