Toolkit 5.3.0 RC10 not working on IE8 RC1

Hi,

for some reason my IE8 RC1 on Vista is very irresponsive when running Toolkit 5.3.0 RC10 applications, even the feature browser on the ITMill site runs very slow and eventually freezes the browser.

The same sites on Google Chrome work fine.

My applications running 5.2.13 are running fast and nicely on all major browsers.

Has anyone else reported this kind of problem?

Regards,

-KJ

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this out, we see the same thing here. This has just passed under our radar, I guess we don’t do enough IE8 testing yet. IE7 should work as usual, if you’re able to test it natively (not the compatibility mode in IE8).

I created a ticket. This will most likely block the 5.3.0 release, postponing it further, yet again.

http://dev.itmill.com/ticket/2578

Apparently there is a problem with nested DIVs in IE8RC1 resulting in the browser slowing down to a halt when there are enough DIVs.

See for instance:

IE8RC1: MAJOR performance bug

Very slow rendering of nested div elements causing browser app to

The same problem appears for instance with Echo and they have a
test page
for this. The test page contains nothing more than up to 25 nested DIVs and this kills IE8RC1 completely.

Wow! How is it possible that Microsoft did not notice this bug - it should be quite obvious that any complex web applications will be affected by this.

I hope that this will be fixed (by Microsoft) asap.

I’m sure they (Microsoft) have cool testing process that has catches this… not…

Seriously, anyone in their serious mind would not call such build release candidate. Can’t imagine why this kind of regression exists on RC builds!

Auch… Maybe I should not say anything as our own RC:s have had quite a few bugs (we are in RC10 already…) :slight_smile:

[quote=Anonymous]
Seriously, anyone in their serious mind would not call such build release candidate. Can’t imagine why this kind of regression exists on RC builds!
[/quote]Point taken :wink:

[quote=Jouni Koivuviita]

I think you got me wrong. I mean that Microsoft should have seen this big of an issue in their internal builds before launching next IE RC.

(When it comes to you guys and your RC’s, I have not look what kind of bugs specifically you have)

Well, if you have such a complex web application that it requires
over 25 levels
of nested HTML elements, you may need a professional solution to satisfy your customers that are still using legacy systems such as IE7 or non-industry-standard browsers. The current standard solution offered by Microsoft is to make it a simple Silverlight application, which takes
just one
proprietary HTML element to embed. By IE8, this innovative next generation of web technologies is becoming the new revolutionary industry standard for enterprise-level applications of select Microsoft customers, and requirements for supporting obsolete legacy technologies such as HTML can be gradually phased out. :twisted:

Well, I guess they will fix it. I just wonder if this affects the release of Toolkit 5.3.0 in any way, for example, do we really have to wait for a fix or should we just mention it in Release Notes? How widely the IE RCs are used?

As the HTML trees in IT Mill Toolkit applications do get somewhat deep quite easily, is it certain that there aren’t any unnecessary DIV levels, especially in the layout components?

[quote=Anonymous]
I think you got me wrong. I mean that Microsoft should have seen this big of an issue in their internal builds before launching next IE RC.

(When it comes to you guys and your RC’s, I have not look what kind of bugs specifically you have)
[/quote]:slight_smile: I got it alright, I was just making a note to ourselves here at IT Mill R’n’D not to call something a release candidate if we know there are several problems in the framework.

But anyhow, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how the IE team plays this one out.

IE latest beta did not have this problem. It creep’d into the RC. Wierd huh.