CodeCamp application projects

I saw some nice ideas and applications in the status meeting yesterday.

Please, post a small summary here. I’m sure people are interested in seeing how much you have accomplished in just a few days/hours.

Well, my first day went after knowing how to create a widget in ITMill…and trying to make it work…it started to show wired things and after much fighting I decided to let it go and started to build a simpler version of my application in the evening of 2nd day. The application was almost done before 2nd day was finished along with Derby database binding. On 3rd day morning I started again to fight with widget and before the presentation at 2 pm, I was able to make a functioning Google Map widget with reverse geocoding in it :smiley:

Well, now I have integrated the map widget with my little application and made the data to flow seamlessly between the client and server side of the widget as well as between the widget and the application :smiley:

No more details about the application now :smiley: Lemme submit the report first… :stuck_out_tongue:

------edit----------
err, I just got the email from Professor Sasu and understood that we need to put the application profile here… so here it goes as a reply to this message…

• Name of the application: EventMgt: Share and mange your events

Cheers!
Sumanta Saha
TKK

Wow! Screenshots are always nice to see :slight_smile:

Name of the application: Equipment Manager
Short description: Basically a simple CRUD-interface to managing equipment and related objects. Has a dynamic hierarchical tree to store the objects in. Is unfortunately pretty crude on the GUI part due to my lack of time to get it fixed as this project was done in 2,5 days of the course. Has hibernate annotations for the data objects.
Screenshot:
Click

Availability online: Not available, sorry.

Toni

Name of the application: Live Auction
Short description: an auction site that allows user to track buying/selling items in real time without having to hit F5 continously :). The UI is made as simple as possible to enhance user usability of the site. Some features such as browsing by category or registering are under development.
Screenshot:
Screen 1

Screen 3

Screen 3

Availability online: Not available, sorry.

Long Nguyen

Great work fellas, always nice to see what people can do with our Toolkit. I’m always especially interested in how the applications look like, so screenshots are golden :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jouni

Name of the application: Timetracker

A short description: An application that enables you to keep track of your working hours. You can generate reports and filter them by customer, project and the time frame. In the future it would be possible to automatically send an invoice to the customer.

Screenshots: http://82.130.34.158/codecamp_screenshots/

The application itself: http://82.130.34.158/codecamp/codecamp

Mikko

Hi,
This is my first row submission for Live Auction website. Report and Instructions of how to deploy are included in the zip file. Please let me know in case you have some problems with deploying it :slight_smile: Cheers

Link:
Live Auction

http://users.tkk.fi/~silver/LiveAuction.zip

Best regards,
Long Nguyen

Hi,
Name of the application: YouTubeSearch

Description:
With this application, you can search the popular video of YouTube website with your key words. You also can select the video and comment it in your own recorded table. It should be easier to check the information for your own interest and memory the feeling about the video. The YouTube Player part will be updated in the future. So with this function, you can comment the video while it plays.

This application uses the YouTube API. It is very easy to use so the functions will be added more in the future.

Hello,

I started to evaluate your toolkit 1 month ago (I intend to make a comparison with another Java framework : Echo from Nextapp) .
Here is the link to the first application :

http://www.messenger-tracker.com/ - there is not so much UI, the application is focused on the server side logic (Hibernate + MySQL)

Anyway, the first observation : the default style of the IT Mill Toolkit looks much better than the Echo one , you can put an application online without filling any .CSS file :slight_smile:

Greetings,
Mihai

[quote=Anonymous]
Hello,

I started to evaluate your toolkit 1 month ago (I intend to make a comparison with another Java framework : Echo from Nextapp) .
Here is the link to the first application :

http://www.messenger-tracker.com/ - there is not so much UI, the application is focused on the server side logic (Hibernate + MySQL)

Anyway, the first observation : the default style of the IT Mill Toolkit looks much better than the Echo one , you can put an application online without filling any .CSS file :slight_smile:

Greetings,
Mihai
[/quote]Hi Mihai, welcome to the forums!

Your app looks great, thanks for the positive feedback.

One first suggestion already came to mind: use the Label component instead of a disabled TextField to present text content. The Label component supports multiline content more easily, so you don’t have to guess how many rows of text you have.

It’s awesome to see you have the app deployed already with a domain name and all. Where are you hosting it? We’ve been looking for a good candidate for Java hosting here, so we could suggest it to others as well.

Keep up the good work!

Ok,

Now I’m logged with the real account .

The server is www.eatj.com (I also saw that you have a review about it, but I discovered it before reading your review - it was the only site where I found with a free trial :slight_smile: - now I’m using the BASIC plan )

One obs. about this site : every 6 hours the JVM is restarted (also for paid planes - it takes few sec) and this can generate some problems (for ex I’m using the Quartz scheduler and this is reinitialized every time when the JVM is restarted) - you have to set all the objects serializable
But, besides that, everything was OK.

I planned to write a comparison between IT MILL and ECHO in the end
( One the same server I’m hosting also a demo version of an echo application for real time monitoring :
http://www.messenger-tracker.com/MonitorDemo/)

Mihai

P.S. Please delete the link to the Echo app if you consider that it is an advertise for this framework :slight_smile:

No worries - it is totally ok (and a good thing) to discuss about alternative/competing frameworks here. Maybe we could learn something about the dialog and make IT Mill Toolkit better :slight_smile:

Happy to add my 2 cents to the topic - we finally completed main part of 5.2-&gt5.3 porting of our new inkjet printing service project, and while still not everything is ready, some stuff is online at http://www.cyberprint.biz

The front-end and back-end were made using toolkit, now with 5.3, user front-end was implemented to mimic a website by extensively using custom layouts while back-end is left like an application. Front-end application also supports internationalization (currently Russian and English) that is switched automatically according to end-user OS locale.

Uuh, looks very nice! Great to see a public application made with Toolkit.

I registered, but couldn’t log in. I got the following stacktrace on the login button

com.itmill.toolkit.event.ListenerMethod$MethodException Cause: java.lang.ClassCastException: com.itmill.toolkit.ui.CustomLayout cannot be cast to eu.livotov.tpt.i18n.TranslatableCustomLayout at com.itmill.toolkit.event.ListenerMethod.receiveEvent(ListenerMethod.java:442) at com.itmill.toolkit.event.EventRouter.fireEvent(EventRouter.java:157) at com.itmill.toolkit.ui.AbstractComponent.fireEvent(AbstractComponent.java:985) at com.itmill.toolkit.ui.Button.fireClick(Button.java:352) at com.itmill.toolkit.ui.Button.changeVariables(Button.java:183) at com.itmill.toolkit.terminal.gwt.server.CommunicationManager.handleVariables(CommunicationManager.java:719) at com.itmill.toolkit.terminal.gwt.server.CommunicationManager.handleUidlRequest(CommunicationManager.java:279) at com.itmill.toolkit.terminal.gwt.server.ApplicationServlet.service(ApplicationServlet.java:445) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:831) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.servletService(ApplicationFilterChain.java:411) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:290) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:271) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:202) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.doInvoke(StandardPipeline.java:632) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.doInvoke(StandardPipeline.java:577) at com.sun.enterprise.web.WebPipeline.invoke(WebPipeline.java:94) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:206) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.doInvoke(StandardPipeline.java:632) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.doInvoke(StandardPipeline.java:577) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:571) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:1080) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:150) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.doInvoke(StandardPipeline.java:632) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.doInvoke(StandardPipeline.java:577) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:571) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:1080) at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:272) at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:199) at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:282) at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:754) at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:684) at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:876) at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:666) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619) Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: com.itmill.toolkit.ui.CustomLayout cannot be cast to eu.livotov.tpt.i18n.TranslatableCustomLayout at biz.cyberprint.ordering.apps.store.login.CodeValidationForm.initUI(Unknown Source) at biz.cyberprint.ordering.apps.store.login.CodeValidationForm.(Unknown Source) at biz.cyberprint.ordering.apps.store.login.LoginWindow.getAccessCodeValidationPanel(Unknown Source) at biz.cyberprint.ordering.apps.store.login.LoginWindow.authenticate(Unknown Source) at biz.cyberprint.ordering.apps.store.login.LoginForm.doLogin(Unknown Source) at biz.cyberprint.ordering.apps.store.login.LoginForm$3.buttonClick(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1441.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) at com.itmill.toolkit.event.ListenerMethod.receiveEvent(ListenerMethod.java:422) ... 33 more I would also suggest that you deploy your app with the productionMode parameter set to true. This is specified in the web.xml:

<context-param> <param-name>productionMode</param-name> <param-value>true</param-value> <description>IT Mill Toolkit production mode</description> </context-param> Other than that, keep up the good work!

Yeah, it is still alpha and just uploaded yesterday to the application server. I think the things should stabilize in the next couple of days as we plan to move to extensive testing.

Thanks for the registration bug, it looks like one more missed unported code. Fixed already.

dll: that looks looks very nice… and refreshingly different! :slight_smile: You have managed to fit the default components very well into the custom theme/layout. Good work!

Sami

Hello,

I created a small accounting application dedicated for the management of a small store (with inventory, customers, vendors, sales and more)
Architecture : VAADIN + JPA (HIBERNATE) + MYSQL (Tomcat used) - for reports - Jasper Reports
Link : http://86.126.159.56:8085/EasyBill
user - demo
password - 123456
Unfortunately , the language is romanian :frowning:
Because I’m also a Java swing developer, the development period was very short :slight_smile:
Thank you for great work,
Mihai

P.S.In this moment the application is in the test phase, so you can perform any operation :slight_smile:

Thanks for the demo. As many other Swing developers are evaluating Vaadin, it would be great to hear more what your experience has been:

• Did it take long to learn Vaadin?
  • Is the development with Vaadin slow or faster than with Swing? How much?
  • How much it took to develop your application? Did that time include learning Vaadin?