Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

IntelliJ IDEA setup

Robin Stevens
1 decade ago Jul 22, 2010 4:20pm

I am a newcomer to Vaadin and will have an attempt to replace some old PHP-sites with a Vaadin-based web application. I wanted to use my favorite Java IDE, but did not find much information on how to setup a project in IntelliJ IDEA. And since switching back to Eclipse is not an option, I had to figure it out myself

I managed to get a simple HelloWorld application running, and will describe here the steps I took so other newbies like me won't have to figure it out them self.

Since I am quite new to creating Java-based web applications, feel free to suggest improvements on my project setup.

1) Download the Vaadin JAR
2) If not already done, install a Tomcat server
3) Start IntelliJ and create new project from scratch ( all steps below are performed with IntelliJ 9 )
4) Type of project is Java Module and as desired technology you select Web Application. This will create the web folder, including the WEB-INF dir and a web.xml file
5) Create a web/WEB-INF/lib folder and place the Vaadin JAR into that folder
6) Goto Project Structure | Modules and let your module depend on the Vaadin JAR. Mark it as export
7) Create a HelloWorld class and adjust your web.xml file, as described in the book of Vaadin
8) To run/debug, create a new "Tomcat Server" configuration. If not yet present, configure a Tomcat server by providing the link to the installation dir of your Tomcat server

This should do it (at least, it was sufficient for me)

Roman Petrenko
1 decade ago Dec 02, 2010 6:00pm
A. M.
1 decade ago Apr 05, 2011 12:57pm
Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago Dec 29, 2011 6:47pm

JetBrains just released plugin for IntelliJ IDEA to support Vaadin:
http://plugins.intellij.net/plugin/?idea&id=6727

Take a look.

Stefan Schöffmann
1 decade ago Jan 02, 2012 8:36am
Patrick Dezenzio
1 decade ago Mar 05, 2012 11:15pm
Bernd Zimmermann
1 decade ago Mar 09, 2012 6:28pm
Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago Mar 09, 2012 7:40pm

Maybe you want to post the question to http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-75348 to ensure that the author knows about the issue.

Andrey Sinyagin
9 years ago Sep 25, 2013 1:01pm
Basil Bourque
6 years ago Apr 16, 2017 10:56pm

Update on this old thread, as of 2017-04 using IntelliJ 2017.1 with Vaadin 8…

See my recent thread: 
https://vaadin.com/forum#!/thread/15360111

The upshot:

• The plugin for Vaadin bundled with IntelliJ seems to be not working. Also seems to be outmoded as the Vaadin team moves to a pure Maven approach.
  • Creating a new project using a Maven archetype *within* IntelliJ creates a use POM file that is nearly empty. No go.
  • Instead, install and use Maven at the command-line to create a new project. Then import into IntelliJ.