Vaadin 7 + Charts

Hi at all,

I was wondering if there are any Available or Planed Addons to include charts in Vaadin 7.

We would like to include some Charts and Graphs insid the App.
Currently i would say I have to include a JavaScript library and connect it with the JavaScriptconnectors in Vaadin 7 like explained here
How to connect Vaadin7 to Highchart.js

Or would it be better to look for GWT based Widgets that do the same and bind them in to Vaadin?

@Vaadin: on the Roadmap you mention the Milestone for the Vaadin Charts alpha1; what does this Proejct include?

Thanks allot in Advance

Hi Marc

According to an email I got from Fredrik Rönnlund from Vaadin

“We also talked about how to justify to your managers that Vaadin Pro Account will pay for itself and I told you about how Highcharts will be a central part of it in the future.”

regards
Richard.

Yes, there’s a very strong rumor from a credible(?) source (=me) saying that Vaadin Charts Add-on is in making :slight_smile:

In nutshell it will, erhm could, be a commercial Vaadin Add-on for Vaadin 7 that will include all the chart types available in HighCharts JS, accompanied with user friendly server side API. The add-on will be included in Pro Account within couple of months.

There will be more official information about the included features shortly (i.e. within next two weeks).

Will the component be dual-licensed so it can be used by open source project under meaningful conditions? (I understand you aren’t in charge of that decision, but kindly relay upward/sideways)

Hi Sam,

Highcharts is a very intresting Charting Framework.

Do you already know how the licening will be? Licnece Purchase from Highcharts or over Vaadin?
And will it work only for “normal Vaadin” or you intend to implement a special Verison for the TouchKit?

Thansk for the Info

Marc

Highcharts itself allows for this.

But Highcharts also forces people to buy an OEM license if you don’t host it yourself. I hope the Vaadin license does not do something similar.

From highcharts website :
"OEM Licenses allows you to distribute Highcharts in your software or hardware product " Nice expensive looking ‘Contact Us’ button next to that :slight_smile:

We do know that there will be CVAL version for sure, obtained by subscribing to Pro Account or purchase from Vaadin directory. (No separate third-party license needed when using Vaadin Charts Add-on with CVAL).

We are figuring out what would be the best way to support open source projects. All options are still on the table.
Since Vaadin Charts Add-on will leverage on third party commercial product and license, it might cause some issues.
But without going to the details I can share that we are currently considering various options and we should have more definitive answers to give within next few weeks.

Yes I know, don’t press that button. I already pressed it for you :slight_smile:

Yes I know, don’t press that button. I already pressed it for you :slight_smile:
[/quote]

lol. It’s a scary button :slight_smile:

Hi,

When buying licence for Vaadin wrapper you’ll also get a Highcharts license. We’ll kind of be their resellers.

The same version can be used on Vaadin TouchKit as well. Of course if you want some interactive stuff for your graphs, you might wan’t to theme things differently (e.g. thicker lines if you expect your users to hit them with their fat fingers).

cheers,
matti

Hmm, that might actually be interpreted in wrong way.

Just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding, please note that;

A valid Highcharts JS license does not entitle you to use Vaadin Charts Add-on under the terms of CVALv2.

and other way around

The Vaadin Charts Add-on (CVALv2) license does not entitle you to use the
Highcharts JS product in other ways than through the Vaadin Charts Add-on API.

Highcharts JS has option for non-profit organization
Non-commercial license

Any chance to get VaadinCharts-addon somehow “aligned” ?

Any news on this issue? I’m working in an OpenSource project with Vaadin and I would love to use this add-on

I have asked my question (see post above) during VaadinCharts webinar.

And answer was - NO.

It’s a shame, Vaadin Charts are much better than the other alternatives :frowning:

Hi all,

I am trying to use the VaadinCharts-addon on liferay. I am able to setup Vaadin 7, the RC candidate for the liferay vaadin control panel. But somehow the VaadinCharts-addon just doesn’t seem to want to compile.

Has anyone had success with a scenario similar to mine (involving liferay)

Thanks for the help!
Hugo