Vaadin 7 with OpenLayers?

Hi,

I am currently trying out how to use vaadin 7 with openlayers add-on. I’ve found there is a branch on http://code.google.com/p/vopenlayers/
for vaadin 7 → “vaadin7upgrade”, which is version 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT. Since I didn’t found any maven repository with this version I tried to compile it by myself without success.

After a checkout of the branch I tried:

mvn gwt:compile

then it says:

[INFO]
auto discovered modules [org.vaadin.vol.demo.VolExampleAppWidgetset, org.vaadin.vol.VolWidgetsetWithHostedScript, org.vaadin.vol.VolWidgetset]

[INFO]
Loading inherited module ‘org.vaadin.vol.demo.VolExampleAppWidgetset’
[INFO]
Loading inherited module ‘org.vaadin.vol.VolWidgetset’
[INFO]
Loading inherited module ‘com.vaadin.DefaultWidgetSet’
[INFO]
Loading inherited module ‘com.vaadin.Vaadin’
[INFO]
[ERROR]
Unable to load class ‘com.vaadin.server.widgetsetutils.AcceptCriteriaFactoryGenerator’
[INFO]
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.vaadin.server.widgetsetutils.AcceptCriteriaFactoryGenerator
[INFO]
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:366)
[INFO]
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
[INFO]
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
[INFO]
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
[INFO]
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:423)

an so on …

but also “mvn vaadin:compile” did not work

Does anybody had success to compile this branch and managed to integrate it in its vaadin 7 project?

Thanks.

Hi,

There seemed to be a some of V7 issues again that had popped up. Some changed API’s and broken client compiler. I made some changes/workarounds and it should now compile again. You might also need to do “mvn install” first. And you actually need to run gwt:compile only if you wish to develop and run tests with the projects VolTestServer helper.

Before you go any further, I gotta warn you a bit about v7 support. It really isn’t even close to complete. OpenLayers Wrapper is a huge add-on using some advanced stuff which make the effort quite big. Currently it is only worked that much we can launch one of our TouchKit demos that depend on it.

The map itself, some base layers (google maps, openstreetmap) and vector stuff is what all works at the moment and even those parts have some bugs. Some issues, like extent change listeners, can’t even be solved yet as there are still critical issues in V7. I hope these would be solved soon so we could really start working on upgrade, but until then - I can’t really recommend Vaadin major upgrade. The exception is if you wish to contribute to the upgrade. That would be more than welcome!

cheers,
matti

Hi matti,

thanks for the clarification.
I will try again and will see how I can contribute to the project.

Hi Matti and David,

I am having the same problem. I downloaded the latest version of vaadin7Updagre and it even had some broken dependencies in the pom.xml. I managed to fix them by basically copying parts of a pom.xml from an archetype based vaadin maven project. I think that the problem was that the Vaadin version of dependencies had to be upgraded from 7.0.0 to 7.0.5.

However, I ended up with the same message error as David.

Has anybody compiled it recently?

Thanks.

Hi,

I just changed to old theme module to current. Now build should work just fine with snapshots. And indeed you need to use mvn vaadin:compile now instead of gwt:compile. Also you might need to do actual java compilation beforehand. So try “mvn install vaadin:compile” to get started.

cheers,
matti

Hello,

We are currently working on a migration to get to Vaadin 7. We make use of Openlayers wrapper for Vaadin, but it is not yet compatible with Vaadin 7. I saw that there is a branch named vaadin7upgrade, so I wondered if there is any plan any time soon for a release? Thank you again guys.

Hi,

A limited version for V7 can be compiled from the SVN already. The V7 compatible official release probably happens when either:
a) I find a motivation to convert some of my existing hobby related apps to use V7. So far I haven’t found a need for such a big task.
b) somebody else decides to put their hands dirty. I’m very glad of all contributions.
c) somebody decides to pay for our experts to do the conversion (vaadin.com/pro)

Most of my efforts at work goest currently to TouchKit. In TouchKit demo apps we have switched to use Leaflet and Vaadin integration called v-leaflet. It is kind of a modern rewrite of OpenLayers and has much smoother UX on mobile devices. Agreed, it don’t have all bells and whistles that OpenLayers have, but your your apps just shows stuff map and has moderate amount of interactions, you should definitely have a look at it.

cheers,
matti

Hi Matti
i am using vaadin 7 in my current project. Can you please let me know if open layers wrapper is now compatible with vaadin 7?

Thanks
Priyanka