Vaadin 7 - websockets

Hi,

are there any plans to integrate websockets as built in functionality into vaadin 7?

And are there any plans to migrate the “dont push ozonelayer” to vaadin 7?

Best,
Florian

Yes, there are plans for including functionality for pushing changes from the server but there are currently no specific plans. I doubt it will be directly based on websockets as we have promised to support both servers and browsers that are too old but the final solution might still be similar to OzoneLayer that uses websockets when possible and falls back to less optimal techniques as required.

This was originally planned for Vaadin 7.0.0, but because of changes to our schedule and priorities, it has been moved forward to Vaadin 7.1.0 which is currently scheduled to be released about 6 months after Vaadin 7.0.0.

Hi,

Too bad upgrading just our official add-ons to Vaadin 7 is such a burden to me currently. I really haven’t found out a moment to give a thought for DontPush V7 upgrade. Almost the same situation with e.g. OpenLayers Wrapper and with most of my “hobby add-ons”. All help appreciated!

But seriously, IMO those working on “terminal level changes” (read: Leif :wink: ) should constantly verify that advanced add-ons like DontPush OzoneLayer can be ported to Vaadin 7. That would not just verify the API becomes less versatile, but you would also get at least an “unofficial” websocket support for V7. Of course it might again slip V7 a bit ahead into the future, but I’d rather have a good V7 than a one released in schedule.

cheers,
matti

Hi,

sorry for late answer…

Thanks a lot. So looking forward to v7.1.

Best,
Florian