Pass Vaadin 7 to Vaadin 16

Hi,

I have an application web who created with Vaadin 7 and I try to migrate my application in Vaadin 16.
But I don’t want write again all my code source. I have many errors when I copy and paste my code source and I have many file who created with Vaadin Designer for Vaadin 7.
Can we migrate free code source easily without write all again.
I want keep my code source because it work in Vaadin 7 and my application is stable.

I have an application web who created with Vaadin 7 and I try to migrate my application in Vaadin 16.

Note, Vaadin 16 is an interim release not supported anymore. The LTS is Vaadin 14, the latest version in time of writing this is 14.4.2, 14-branch is still maintained and gets updates. If you want the latest features, go for Vaadin 18, but keep updating to the latest version until it reaches LTS status.

I have many errors when I copy and paste my code source

This is unfortunately true. There is quite a lot accumulated API changes between these versions. Data binding API has been changed already between Vaadin 7 and 8. I.e. the Containers and FieldGroup were removed then. Vaadin 10 onwards there are more API changes Navigator is replaced by Router, the whole component set including theme has been renewed (also look and feel is different) and layout logic has changed too.

Can we migrate free code source easily without write all again.

The short answer is that it is unfortunately not possible.

Vaadin 8 includes opt-in Vaadin 7 compatibility libraries. Which means that there is easy migration path from Vaadin 7 to 8 using them. These compatibility libraries include legacy components like Table, legacy themes like Reindeer, and legacy data binding with Containers and FieldGroup.

In Vaadin 10+ we have multiplatform runtime product, which allows to use legacy Vaadin 7 or 8 components in Vaadin 10+ applications. However this is part of the commercial offering.