Vaadin 14 fails to load lumo-color and lumo-typography on Windows 10 machin

We made a simple app with Vaadin 14, Spring Boot and Kotlin. The app runs flawlessly on OSX, a Linux laptop as well as in a Docker container based on a Linux image on AWS ECS.

However, we don’t get it to run on a Windows 10 machine. The app starts and we can access the UI. But all styles are missing. The UI looks totally broken, even though the buttons are working.

There are no errors in the Java log, but the browser console shows the following:

style-gather.js?ee41:216 Could not find style data in module named lumo-color
style-gather.js?ee41:216 Could not find style data in module named lumo-typography

What are we missing? We tried two Windows machines - same result on both of them.

Is this when the server is running on Windows, the browser is running on Windows (which browser?), or both running on Windows?

If the app can be put to e.g. GitHub it would be easier to check what goes wrong

The server is running on Windows and the browser is running on Windows, too. We’ve tried Firefox + Chrome, but same result.

I pushed the project to GitHub: https://github.com/tuhrig/vaadin-win-issue

I’m happy about any help.

Edit:

Interesting fact: This one https://github.com/vaadin/base-starter-spring-gradle works perfectly fine.

If you look at target/frontend/generated-flow-imports.js you can see a radical difference on Windows and other platforms.

It looks like a problem with scanning project classes for annotations as when starting on Windows I see

Starting dev-mode updaters in ...\vaadin-win-issue folder.
Visited 1 classes. Took 0 ms.

on Mac again I see

Starting dev-mode updaters in .../vaadin-win-issue folder.
Visited 87 classes. Took 19 ms.

Not sure if this ia a problem related to the Gradle plugin or to Vaadin itself.

Hey Artur, thank you for your investigation! We can confirm the same behaviour.

On a Mac we can see:

2020-07-15 19:18:32.172  INFO  --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Visited 87 classes. Took 15 ms.
2020-07-15 19:18:32.185  INFO  --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Skipping `npm install`.
2020-07-15 19:18:32.185  INFO  --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Copying frontend resources from jar files ...
2020-07-15 19:18:32.215  INFO  --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Visited 11 resources. Took 29 ms.
2020-07-15 19:18:32.237  INFO  --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : No js modules to update '/Users/thomas/Bringmeister/con-search-keywords/target/frontend/generated-flow-imports.js' file

Whereas on Windows we see:

2020-07-16 17:23:49.759  INFO  --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Visited 1 classes. Took 16 ms.
2020-07-16 17:23:49.784  INFO  --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Removed 1 dependencies
2020-07-16 17:23:49.792  INFO  --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Updated npm C:\Users\sscheller\IdeaProjects\con-search-keywords\package.json.
2020-07-16 17:23:49.813  INFO  --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Running `pnpm install` to resolve and optionally download frontend dependencies. This may take a moment, please stand by...
2020-07-16 17:23:49.835  INFO  --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Generated pnpmfile hook file: 'C:\Users\sscheller\IdeaProjects\con-search-keywords\pnpmfile.js'

To make things a bit stranger, my colleague who’s using the Windows laptop has checked-out the GitHub project from above. And guess what, this one is working on his Windows laptop. The log looks like this:

2020-07-16 17:26:54.991  INFO 644 --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Visited 87 classes. Took 69 ms.
2020-07-16 17:26:55.054  INFO 644 --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Skipping `pnpm install`.
2020-07-16 17:26:55.055  INFO 644 --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Copying frontend resources from jar files ...
2020-07-16 17:26:55.233  INFO 644 --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : Visited 11 resources. Took 178 ms.
2020-07-16 17:26:55.341  INFO 644 --- [           main]
 dev-updater                              : No js modules to update 'C:\Users\sscheller\IdeaProjects\vaadin-win-issue\target\frontend\generated-flow-imports.js' file

And yes, as a result the generated-flow-imports.js looks very different. On OSX it’s full of imports, on Windows it’s almost empty.

Do you have any idea how to solve this? (I’m happy with a workarround)

Any suggestions on this issue? It’s really a blocker for us at the moment.

Hi!

Have you tried if the same issue exists with with Maven build? That would help us to know if the issue is limited to the Gradle plugin. Our team that is working on the builds is mostly on vacation this month, it might be hard to get help via forum soon. I don’t have access to Windows machine currently so can’t easily test it by myself.

cheers,
matti

Another question would be: can this be reproduced without Kotlin?

Also: can all classes except Application and some view class be removed? It would make it much easier to understand where the problem is

Hey Matti, Hey Artur,

I don’t think that the problem is related to the Gradle plugin. As far as I understand it, the problem occurs at runtime when Vaadin is scanning classes. The Gradle plugin shouldn’t be involved at this point. I can remove the Gradle plugin entirely from the script and I still run in the same issues.

I played around with the dependencies a bit and found out that it works when I remove some of them:

// This will work
    implementation ...
    // implementation "org.zalando:logbook-spring-boot-starter:2.0.0"
    // implementation "io.springfox:springfox-swagger2:2.9.2"
    // implementation "io.springfox:springfox-swagger-ui:2.9.2"
    implementation ...

// This not
    implementation ...
    implementation "org.zalando:logbook-spring-boot-starter:2.0.0"
    // implementation "io.springfox:springfox-swagger2:2.9.2"
    // implementation "io.springfox:springfox-swagger-ui:2.9.2"
    implementation ...

// This also not
    implementation ...
    // implementation "org.zalando:logbook-spring-boot-starter:2.0.0"
    implementation "io.springfox:springfox-swagger2:2.9.2"
    implementation "io.springfox:springfox-swagger-ui:2.9.2"
    implementation ...

However, it doesn’t seem to be a problem with those particular libraries. When my colleague removes them in the original project (not the one I pushed to GitHub), he still has the same problems on his Windows machine.

It looks either like some sort of class path issue or something with Spring (probably Spring Boot Autoconfigurations). But I’m unable to debbug this.

What is Vaadin scanning at this point? Can I somehow force Vaadin to scan particular classes?

I can reproduce the problem on Win10+JDK8 when running https://github.com/Artur-/vaadin-win-issue via gradlew bootRun. Curiously the app works just fine when launched via Intellij’s SpringBoot launcher.

Even after I delete all Kotlin code, convert Application.kt back to Java and even remove Vaadin Gradle Plugin and all other plugins except the java plugin, org.springframework.boot and the io.spring.dependency-management plugin, the issue still persists and the DevModeInitializer reports 0 classes.

When I try to create a simple MyRoute.java class with the following contents:

@Route("")
public class MyRoute extends VerticalLayout {
    public MyRoute() {
        add(new Button("Hi!"));
    }
}

this class gets detected and DevModeInitializer prints initDevModeHandler called with 1 classes. That leads me to believe that the Spring Boot classpath scanning only considers src/main/java when run from Gradle on Windows. Unfortunately I’m not a Spring Boot expert so I can’t really pinpoint what’s going on here, but the Vaadin Gradle plugin doesn’t seem to be the culprit here.

Attaching a chopped-down version of the app which still reproduces the issue. Please run gradlew bootRun to reproduce the issue; after node_modules has been populated you can comment out id 'com.vaadin' version '0.8.0' from build.gradle, re-run gradlew bootRun and still observe that only 1 class is detected.
18386970.zip (398 KB)

Hey Martin, thank you for your investigation. I’ve downloaded your ZIP file and can confirm that running gradlew bootRun will lead to the issue (only 1 class scanned). However, running the app with the IntelliJ launcher works just fine.