Was Vaadin 10 bakery app starter ever working in MS Edge and/or IE11?

Since my Vaadin 10 bakery starter based app does not work with latest MS Edge nor IE11 I am wondering if it ever had. Most likely not, since the unchanged Vaadin 10 bakery starter does not work either. Seems to be some Polymer2 webcomponents loader issue, but hey I’ve started a year ago with this because Vaadin promised to be a good match for Java devs and I have no clue about this frontend dev stuff.

If somebody has a working sample based on Vaadin 10 (or Vaadin 14 with HTML templates/Polymer2) which works at least with MS Edge, I’d be very glad.

Hello Michael. For Vaadin 10, IE11 will only work when the application is built in the production mode. For Bakery, it should be done with the running the build in production profile, e.g. mvn package -Pproduction. This is required because the frontend resources need to be transpiled to ES5 so that IE11 can execute those. For MS Edge, it should work even in development mode.

Starting from Vaadin 14, IE11 is supported also in development time (and not just for production build) when the application is running in npm mode (and not V10-13 compatibility mode). As an example, you can check and test any of our starters from vaadin.com/start

If you’re still experiencing the same issue, it would be great if you could provide some insight into what is going on, like what error messages there might be in browser console or such.

Hello Pekka. Many thanks for your reply. I am aware of the fact, that at least IE11 needs the transpiled ES5 but forgot to mention it, sorry for that.

So I am talking about the unmodified Vaadin 10 bakery starter app (which I still got a copy fortunately) right now:

• Within the project, mvn clean package -Pproduction is executed. According to Maven output, the package-for-production goal is successfully executed:
    [INFO] ES5 transpilation completed. [INFO] [11:28:26] Finished 'build_es5' after 8.82 ms
  • Afterwards I start the application via java -Dvaadin.productionMode -jar target/my-starter-project-1.0-SNAPSHOT.war and it throws a lot of JS errors on initial load with latest MS Edge (I am not trying IE11 anymore). Since I don’t know how to save the logs from Edge developer console to a file, please find a screenshot attached.
  • With Chrome, Firefox and Safari (each latest version) the app just works fine.
  • Please find also the pom.xml attached - I could also share the whole project, if you allow me to do so.

So to sum it up, at least the Vaadin 10 bakery starter app, I’ve downloaded about a year ago, never worked on MS Edge and IE11. Unfortunately my first testing customer faced this issue and not me :frowning:
17853210.png
17853213.xml (27.9 KB)

Hi Michael,

I’m taking a look at the issue and can reproduce it, can you check if forcing the version of webcomponentsjs webjar to 1.2.0 fixes the issue in your case?

Because it’s part of the BOM you would need to force the version in dependency management. Based on your pom.xml the dependencyManagement section should look like this.

<dependencyManagement>
        <dependencies>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>com.vaadin</groupId>
                <artifactId>vaadin-bom</artifactId>
                <version>${vaadin.version}</version>
                <type>pom</type>
                <scope>import</scope>
            </dependency>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>com.vaadin</groupId>
                <artifactId>vaadin-tabs-flow</artifactId>
                <version>1.0.5</version>
            </dependency>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>org.webjars.bowergithub.webcomponents</groupId>
                <artifactId>webcomponentsjs</artifactId>
                <version>1.2.0</version>
            </dependency>
        </dependencies>
    </dependencyManagement>
	```

Hi Guillermo,

adding

<dependency>
                <groupId>org.webjars.bowergithub.webcomponents</groupId>
                <artifactId>webcomponentsjs</artifactId>
                <version>1.2.0</version>
            </dependency>

after the vaadin-bom within the dependencyManagement did it!! Thank you so much!!!