Run and deploy Vaadin Project without IDE

Hello,

I’m quite new in vaadin and I developed some test applications in Eclipse, which are already running on a tomcat server. Now my questions is: Is it possible to run these projects on my sever without any IDE? So is there a possibility to create a “executable” or a little script to rum from command line without IDE?

Thanks!

Pia

Is it possible to run these projects on my sever without any IDE?

Although it would be theoretically possible, I would not recommend to develop any Java application without IDE of some sort. With Vaadin 14 you would need maven as bare minimum to handle the dependencies, build process and starting of the application from the command line. Files you could edit with simple text editor, but it is much more productive to do it with proper syntax highlighting, since otherwise it is too error prone. With proper IDE you get automatic integration of JavaDocs for further help as well debugging options.

Tatu Lund:

Is it possible to run these projects on my sever without any IDE?

Although it would be theoretically possible, I would not recommend to develop any Java application without IDE of some sort. With Vaadin 14 you would need maven as bare minimum to handle the dependencies, build process and starting of the application from the command line. Files you could edit with simple text editor, but it is much more productive to do it with proper syntax highlighting, since otherwise it is too error prone. With proper IDE you get automatic integration of JavaDocs for further help as well debugging options.

Thank’s for your fast answer! So if someone uses my web application, it have so be started from a computer which runs the application on my tomcat server from an IDE? Therefore the IDE is always running while the web application is in use?

Actually I just now understood your question. It was not about developing application, but how to deploy the application to server (which is probably not your computer)

What you need to do is to produce WAR file of your application (e.g. using “mvn package -Pproduction” command with Vaadin 14) and then you can copy that WAR file to deployment folder of the Tomcat server (or use Tomcat web ui to deploy). To be clear, the server does not need to have IDE installed.

Tatu Lund:
Actually I just now understood your question. It was not about developing application, but how to deploy the application to server (which is probably not your computer)

What you need to do is to produce WAR file of your application (e.g. using “mvn package -Pproduction” command with Vaadin 14) and then you can copy that WAR file to deployment folder of the Tomcat server (or use Tomcat web ui to deploy). To be clear, the server does not need to have IDE installed.

Sorry, my question was not clear enough. Now I understand what to do. Thanks!