Getting error when doing spring-boot:run

I’ve literally just downloaded and imported starter project and I’m getting this error when running spring-boot:run :

Failed to execute goal com.vaadin:vaadin-maven-plugin:14.0.0.rc3:prepare-frontend (default) on project todo: Execution default of goal com.vaadin:vaadin-maven-plugin:14.0.0.rc3:prepare-frontend failed: A required class was missing while executing com.vaadin:vaadin-maven-plugin:14.0.0.rc3:prepare-frontend: org/apache/commons/io/FileUtils

rc7 is available right now, so i suggest to try this first (for non-GA software, always try the latest version).

Something similar happened to me a couple of times this year. Both times I fixed it by removing the dependencies that contain the problematic class from my local Maven repository (for example rm -rf ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/commons/io/. This seems to happen when files get corrupted due to network errors when Maven download stuff. Not sure if that will solve your issue, though. Please let us know whether that works or not.

Tried it several times on my own but it didnt fix the problem

Is it a fresh unmodified project created with an starter?

I’ve only added lines of code from quick tutorial video. It might be IntelliJ IDEA problem maybe since I didn’t have any trouble with Eclipse. Could that be the case?

Maybe. Have you tried reimporting the project in IntelliJ IDEA?

I’ve just re imported the project into IntelliJ IDEA and runs smoothly, so I guess we found the problem :slight_smile:

Goood to hear!

I planned to migrate a fork of my current application based on VAADIN 8.4 to the latest VAADIN version. As i heard of 14 LTS i decided to choose this.
Using Eclipse i downloaded the starter and the first maven build fails because of this error.
I installed node.js (MSI, 64 bit on Windows) and it still fails. So guys… i pay something about 1000 Eur per year for the subscription of VAADIN pro. The designer is unusable within Eclipse because of performance issues and now the starter project of a socalled LTS cannot be built after download, which offers customization for Java EE or Spring (i’m working with Spring Boot).
Maybe i’d better return to extjs.
Can you offer me a working solution? I don’t want to have to deal with node.js essentially.

Hans-Jürgen Hartl:

Using Eclipse i downloaded the starter and the first maven build fails because of this error.

Have you tried what’s described in this thread?

I don’t want to have to deal with node.js essentially.

You just need it installed (it’s basically because V14 uses npm instead of bower, which is a good thing). So, in the same way you don’t need to deal with bower in V10, you don’t need to deal with npm (or node.js) in V14.

I deleted my local maven repository and got it work now. Thank you very much!

Hans-Jürgen Hartl:
I deleted my local maven repository and got it work now. Thank you very much!

Good to hear!

The designer is unusable within Eclipse because of performance issues

Could you send an email to designer+feedback@vaadin.com and describe your issue with your OS, Eclipse version etc.?