Migration From Vaadin 7 to 8

Hi,

I have migrated vaadin 7.5 to 8.5.2 version for better performance, but after upgradtion i am facing slowness
in the application. I have gone through the forum and update the vaadin-cdi version to 3.0.0. But when i
load my application, i am getting the below exception.

java.lang.NullPointerException at com.vaadin.cdi.internal.AnnotationUtil.getUiBeans(AnnotationUtil.java:80) 
at com.vaadin.cdi.CDIUIProvider.getUIBeanWithMapping(CDIUIProvider.java:176) 
at com.vaadin.cdi.CDIUIProvider.getUIClass(CDIUIProvider.java:118)

I tried debugging the application and found that BeanManager instance is null. I am not sure
why instance is not created? After some research i have upgraded my cdi-api from 1.2 to 2.0 version
still i am getting the same exception.

Can anyone explain why BeanManager is not instantianted ??? OR What i am missing ???

Which application container you use?

Hi Tatalund,

I am not sure about the application container we have used in the app. Can you explain more
on this and how to find that in vaadin application. We are just using the BeanItemContainer
to load the data in tables to set as ContainerDataSource.

Regards,

Karthikeyan R.

With term “application container” I refer to servers like TomEE, Wildfly, Glassfish, JBoss, …

Hi,

We are using JBoss EAP 7.0 Server.

Hi Tatulund,

Any update on this ??

I have not used JBoss myself, but if you try the demo app with Wildfly, just clone the project, import and run with mvn wildfly:run commmand, everything works as it should. The Bean manager in Wildfly is WELD, which is the same one that is used by JBoss.

https://github.com/TatuLund/cdi-demo

So I recommend to check what you do differently than in the demo.

I need to migrate from vaadin 7.7.6 to 7.7.17. I just made a change in maven, and it looks like i don’t need to change anything else. My project is compiling and running fine after the change. Do i need to care about other things while migrating from 7.7.6 ti 7.7.17?