Vaadin 7 - Extended support

Dear Vaadin team,

I have few questions regarding extended support for Vaadin 7.
We bought Vaadin Pro Tools and we are using Vaadin 7 in our projects. As it is stated on https://vaadin.com/roadmap the version 7 will be maintained until to the end of February 2019.
Enterprise tier customers get an additional 10 years of maintenance while having active Enterprise subscription.

My questions:

1. Do you plan to fix security bugs in Vaadin 7 and make new releases public (available for all) after 02/2019?
  2. Do you plan to make maintenance releases with non-security bug fixes and features from Enterprise tier public (available for all) after 02/2019?
  3. What is the price for Enterprise tier ?

Best regards
Petr

Hi

Petr Zak:
Dear Vaadin team,

I have few questions regarding extended support for Vaadin 7.
We bought Vaadin Pro Tools and we are using Vaadin 7 in our projects. As it is stated on https://vaadin.com/roadmap the version 7 will be maintained until to the end of February 2019.
Enterprise tier customers get an additional 10 years of maintenance while having active Enterprise subscription.

My questions:

1. Do you plan to fix security bugs in Vaadin 7 and make new releases public (available for all) after 02/2019?
  2. Do you plan to make maintenance releases with non-security bug fixes and features from Enterprise tier public (available for all) after 02/2019?
  3. What is the price for Enterprise tier ?

Best regards
Petr

Hi Petr,

1. We do not offer public security fixes
  2. No
  3. The price is tailored according to your needs and development requirements because you might not need all features from Enteprise tier. Please contact sales@vaadin.com and we’ll can provide detailed estimation.

P.s I’ve acknowledged that you got answers from us vis email already. This post is for everyone else from Vaadin community who have similar questions to know :slight_smile:

Yes, I got the answer per email. Thank you.

There is a sense that new versions of the “platform” (really like it, but it’s not a stable platform) are coming quickly and seem to require large scale changes rather than tweaks. We started with V6, and V7 required a lot of work. V8 has a “compatibility mode” but will require a lot of work. And now there’s V10, V11 and V12. We feel like we cannot afford to keep up with large development efforts for each iteration that isn’t just a new release, but a new way of doing most things.

David Wall:
There is a sense that new versions of the “platform” (really like it, but it’s not a stable platform) are coming quickly and seem to require large scale changes rather than tweaks. We started with V6, and V7 required a lot of work. V8 has a “compatibility mode” but will require a lot of work. And now there’s V10, V11 and V12. We feel like we cannot afford to keep up with large development efforts for each iteration that isn’t just a new release, but a new way of doing most things.

We have gone through this migration process and currently in the process of planning on how we are going to get to Vaadin 10+. We started with Vaadin 7, then wanted to get to Vaadin 8, so we went with migrating to 8 by way of the “compatibility packages/mode” that was mentioned above. Even with the compatibility packages, it was a very large effort to get to Vaadin 8. Now we are going to try and use the new Multiplatform Runtime that was just introduced to slowly migrate everything to 10+. It will be a huge effort, but at least we have a path to take to get there and be able to do it at our own pace. I am just hoping once we get to 10+, this migration work will stop or at least slow down.

There is a sense that new versions of the “platform” (really like it, but it’s not a stable platform) are coming quickly and seem to require large scale changes rather than tweaks.
And now there’s V10, V11 and V12. We feel like we cannot afford to keep up with large development efforts for each iteration that isn’t just a new release, but a new way of doing most things.

Hello David and Tetris Dev. I just want to point out, that even though we have a quarterly release pace for the platform, you can consider V11 and V12 (and soon V13) the same as minor releases have been before - there is no migration effort and we’re striving for keeping the migration effort to be only a version update. So no breaking changes, unless we’ve basically done any mistakes, and in those cases we will give you good instructions on what you need to do. On the positive side - you’ll get new features to use faster than before.

For example, for migrating from V10/V11 to V12 you should be only aware of is related to removing some non-desired API from ComboBox, otherwise it is just a version bump. And V12 brings in a lot of new things, so I recommend it to everyone who can to switch to it (over V10/V11).

Whenever there are bigger changes, as you can expect that at some point in the future there will be, our plan is to always have a migration path from the previous LTS to the next one. If it can be automated, we will try to do it and document any manual steps you need to take.

The reason why the jump from 8 to 10 is really big is because we’ve wanted to make things better and this required a full rewrite. The migration from 8 to 10+ is not mandatory for many years as 8 is still supported for a long time. For those that want to migrate, we provide the MPR which is commercial as we see it only as something that not all users require, but only those who want to get to 10+ faster. It still possible to do a manual migration if choose so.

We are not planning for another full rewrite any time soon. For whatever bigger changes we are looking at, we’ll always consider how the exising platform users and their applications can get there.