Can't compile anymore my project

Hi, I’m crossposting this to [https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53556552/cant-compile-vaadin-project-anymore]
(Stackoverflow) , hope someone can help me.

I have a Vaadin 8.6.1 project that worked with no problems till now, when suddenly it fails compiling: nothing in the code or in the pom is changed.

The command I’m running is clean package -e , but the problem is the same even if I launch jetty:run

This is the error stacktrace

[INFO]

Compiling module AppWidgetset
[INFO]

[INFO]

BUILD FAILURE
[INFO]

[INFO]

Total time: 02:13 min
[INFO]
Finished at: 2018-11-30T12:03:26+01:00
[INFO]
Final Memory: 80M/732M
[INFO]

[ERROR]

Failed to execute goal com.vaadin:vaadin-maven-plugin:8.6.1:compile (default) on project eglobal: Command [[
[ERROR]
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_161\jre\bin\java -Xmx1G -Dgwt.persistentunitcache=false com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler -logLevel INFO -style OBF -war C:\Sviluppo\workspaceIntelliJ\eglobalMaven\target\classes\VAADIN\widgetsets -localWorkers 4 -failOnError -XfragmentCount -1 -sourceLevel auto -gen C:\Sviluppo\workspaceIntelliJ\eglobalMaven\target.generated AppWidgetset
[ERROR]
]] failed with status 1
[ERROR]
→ [Help 1]

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute goal com.vaadin:vaadin-maven-plugin:8.6.1:compile (default) on project eglobal: Command [[
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_161\jre\bin\java -Xmx1G -Dgwt.persistentunitcache=false com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler -logLevel INFO -style OBF -war C:\Sviluppo\workspaceIntelliJ\eglobalMaven\target\classes\VAADIN\widgetsets -localWorkers 4 -failOnError -XfragmentCount -1 -sourceLevel auto -gen C:\Sviluppo\workspaceIntelliJ\eglobalMaven\target\.generated AppWidgetset
]] failed with status 1
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:212)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:153)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:145)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:116)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:80)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.builder.singlethreaded.SingleThreadedBuilder.build(SingleThreadedBuilder.java:51)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:128)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:307)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:193)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:106)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.execute(MavenCli.java:863)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.doMain(MavenCli.java:288)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:199)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:289)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:229)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:415)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:356)
	at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:47)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Command [[
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_161\jre\bin\java -Xmx1G -Dgwt.persistentunitcache=false com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler -logLevel INFO -style OBF -war C:\Sviluppo\workspaceIntelliJ\eglobalMaven\target\classes\VAADIN\widgetsets -localWorkers 4 -failOnError -XfragmentCount -1 -sourceLevel auto -gen C:\Sviluppo\workspaceIntelliJ\eglobalMaven\target\.generated AppWidgetset
]] failed with status 1
	at org.codehaus.mojo.gwt.shell.CompileMojo.compile(CompileMojo.java:582)
	at org.codehaus.mojo.gwt.shell.CompileMojo.doExecute(CompileMojo.java:435)
	at org.codehaus.mojo.gwt.shell.AbstractGwtShellMojo.execute(AbstractGwtShellMojo.java:182)
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:134)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:207)
	... 21 more
Caused by: org.codehaus.mojo.gwt.shell.JavaCommandException: Command [[
]] failed with status 1
	at org.codehaus.mojo.gwt.shell.JavaCommand.execute(JavaCommand.java:330)
	at org.codehaus.mojo.gwt.shell.CompileMojo.compile(CompileMojo.java:578)
	... 25 more
[ERROR]

[ERROR]

But if I try to launch mvn vaadin:update-widgetset , it works with no errors.

These are the relevant parts of my pom:

<properties>
    <vaadin.version>8.6.1</vaadin.version>
    <vaadin.plugin.version>8.6.1</vaadin.plugin.version>
    <jetty.plugin.version>9.4.11.v20180605</jetty.plugin.version>
    <project.build.sourceEncoding>UTF-8</project.build.sourceEncoding>
    <maven.compiler.source>1.8</maven.compiler.source>
    <maven.compiler.target>1.8</maven.compiler.target>
</properties>

This is the vaadin plugin

<plugin>
            <groupId>com.vaadin</groupId>

<artifactId>vaadin-maven-plugin</artifactId>
            <version>${vaadin.plugin.version}</version>
            <executions>
                <execution>
                    <goals>
                        <goal>update-theme</goal>
                        <goal>update-widgetset</goal>
                        <goal>compile</goal>
                        <goal>compile-theme</goal>

</goals>
                </execution>
            </executions>
            <configuration>
                <gwtSdkFirstInClasspath>true</gwtSdkFirstInClasspath> 
            </configuration>
        </plugin>

What can I do to fix this problem? I can’t find a way to act for solving this

I find this odd “C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_161\jre\bin\java”, shouldn’t it be “C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_161\bin\java”, is your JAVA_HOME pointing to JRE subfolder for some odd reason?

@TatuLund , as said in the question, I’ve changed nothing in my project or in my code: everything was working fine till then, I don’t think java home should be the problem: btw, my JAVA_HOME points to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_161

After various tries, I’ve found that the problem was our company proxy.

After disconnecting my laptop from company network, and connecting it outside of it, directly on internet, I could compile without problems.

I’ve talked to Vaadin support, who guessed that the licence was trying to contact Vaadin server for verify it was valid, but ended with this error, which didn’t refer to this failed connection.

In fact, after the successful compilation, I was able to compile again, even behind proxy.

Hope this will help someone else :slight_smile: