Windows 10 compatibility for Vaadin 7

Hi,

We are using Vaadin 7.6.8 in our application and runo theme, previously we were working on Windows 7. Now we have updated our systems to Windows 10. After the update we are noticing some screen flashing or flickering in our application. Would you please provide a solution.

Thanks,
Harsha.

Similar question was asked here too: https://vaadin.com/forum/thread/17290040/flickering-issues-in-vaadin-7-6-8

It seems that there is possibly a bug in Runo. You can either update your theme to Valo (note Reindeer and Runo themes are not included in Vaadin 8 anymore), so if you plan to migrate your application to newer framework, you may need to consider updating your theme eventually.

The default sizes in Valo are bigger than in Runo & Reindeer, so it requires some customization.

In this Forum thread there are couple of good comments from Jouni, values for Valo variables in theme that match the sizes to be roughly compatible with Reindeer theme. I recall Runo sizes are closer to Reindeer than Valo, so you can start with these and tune them experimentally so that they fit.

https://vaadin.com/forum/thread/8906837

Copying here

$v-font-size: 12px;

$v-unit-size: 26px;
$v-unit-size--small: 20px;
$v-unit-size--tiny: 18px;

$v-layout-margin-top: 18px;
$v-layout-margin-right: 18px;
$v-layout-margin-bottom: 18px;
$v-layout-margin-left: 18px;
$v-layout-spacing-vertical: 7px;
$v-layout-spacing-horizontal: 6px;

Thank you Tatu,

I will check it.

Hi Tatu,

Suppose in future, If I upgrade my PC to next version of Windows, Do I need to go for other vaadin theme other than valo.

What is the best solution to keep my application stable with all the upgrades of OS as well as Browsers?

Thanks,
Harsha.

Vaadin 8 (and hence Valo) will be supported as open source until February 2022. This means that we will keep it compatible with IE11, Edge, as well as the latest Firefox, Chrome and Safari. Free maintenance of Vaadin 7 ends February 2019, so fixes in Valo are backported until then. Valo is thus better foundation than Runo or Reindeer.

In Vaadin 10+ we have completely new theming. The themes there are Lumo and there will be material design based theme too.