Using named slots in parent layout

Hi,

I have a common layout, created using Polymer Template, that is used by multiple views, again based on Polymer templates, and the views will add components in different sections of the parent layout - the sections to be populated are defined using slots, with different names. The issue I encounter is that the named slots are not populated and no error occurs.

If I have only a default slot in the parent layout, everything works OK and it gets populated but even if I have only one slot with a name, nothing happens.

Is this the correct behavior or am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks, Silvestru

Hi Silvestru,

I think the problem is that you are not specifying the slot when you want to place the content.

This link is really useful to understand how slots works:
https://www.polymer-project.org/2.0/docs/devguide/shadow-dom

Below there is an example about how to use the slots:

**shadow tree:

<template>
	<h1>Generic Slot:</h1>
	<slot> </slot>

<h1>Title slot:</h1>
	<slot name="titleSlot"></slot>

<h1>contentSlot</h1>
	<slot name="contentSlot"></slot>
</template>

**light tree:

<example-slots>
	<h3>I am in the generic slot</h3>
	<h3 slot="titleSlot">Title</h3>
	<h3 slot="contentSlot">contentSlot</h3>
</example-slots>

17188846.png

Hi Diego,

First of all, thank you for your response and for the docs link that helped me understanding better the concepts.

Unfortunately it is not the issue you mention above, I specify the slot when I want to place content. Let me give you more details.

I have a parent-layout with the following definition:

<template>
	    <div class="title" hidden$="{{toggleTitle}}">Title</div>
	    <vaadin-button id="toggleTitleButon" on-click="_toggleTitle" theme="raised tertiary">Toggle Title</vaadin-button>
	    <div>
	    	<slot name="firstSlot"></slot>
	    </div>
        <div>
        	<slot name="secondSlot"></slot>
        </div>
    </template>

What I tried was to define a view, let’s call it example-template with the following Java class and Polymer template:

@Tag("example-template")
@HtmlImport("src/example-template.html")
@Route(value = "example", layout = ParentLayout.class)
public class ExampleTemplate extends PolymerTemplate<ExampleTemplate.ExampleModel> {
}
 <template>
	<div slot="firstSlot">First slot - example template</div>
	<div slot="secondSlot">Second slot - example template</div>
 </template>

In this case, my expectation was to see the texts from example-template displayed on the screen, on the afferent slots but it doesn’t happen.

If I remove layout = ParentLayout.class from ExampleTemplate class and I update the template as below, it works as expected.

<template>
    	<parent-layout>
	        <div slot="firstSlot">First slot - example template</div>
	        <div slot="secondSlot">Second slot - example template</div>
        </parent-layout>
    </template>

Unfortunately, this second approach has a disadvantage, it doesn’t keep the state of the ParentLayout when navigating between different routes.

Do you have any suggestion ?

Thanks,
Silvestru

When the ParentLayout.class is used with route, what is the output structure?

I know that RouteLayout only accepts a single component so at the parent level only a single component containing the two Div’s will be added. Wondering if that’s causing the error placing the content in the Slots.

Having similar issues.

Indeed, when using “@Route(value = “example”, layout = ParentLayout.class)”, the output structure shows as a child for , which is the root element. This, combined with fact that slot is looking only at the top-level children, results in example-template contained slots not being displayed properly.
If you set the slot attribute at example-template level then example-template is displayed on the slot you specified but this means you cannot populate different named slots of a parent layout from a single child.