Selectionlistener on v.8 grid

I’m in the process of migrating my application from v.7 grid to v.8. In general I find v.8 to be a bit slower than v.7 (I’ve found several threads about that, some claiming their issues were solved).

I’m adding some slightly time consuming code in the selectionlistener of the grid. This works very well with v.7 grid. There is no delay in row selection when the user clicks on it.
On v.8 however when I click on a cell I get the blue rectangle around that cell and after about half a second the row is selected.
There is no change of code anywhere else, just the change in the version of the grid.

I’ve replicated that in a simple application with some random math inside the selectionlistener. With a v.7 grid it’s fast and with a v.8 it’s slow.

It seems in v.7 the order is rectangle around cell->row selection->selectionlistener code
But in v.8 it’s rectangle around cell->selectionlistener code->row selection

This makes the application appear to run slowly. The user needs to wait for the row to be selected. With the v.7 grid the row is immediately selected making the application respond much snappier. I can even quickly select another row and the listener code for both selections will run after the second selection is made.

Is there some way to replicate the v.7 behaviour ?